Location of AV components with projector setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wondering where people are placing their AV components with projector setups? Do you typically locate them at the front of the room or towards the back, closer to the projector?

Curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
You'll get a mix of answers that probably depends more on what space is available in the room, more than preference. I think most folks would agree that given the choice, having the gear in the back or on the side of the room is preferred. But not because of the distance to the projector. Rather, gear in the front can be distracting (lights, displays, etc.), and it's inconvenient to access while the projector is in use. Much easier to deal with something without walking in front of everyone and putting the shadow of your head in the middle of the image. biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Depends on what you plan on using for a rack and maybe type and number of components you will be using. Also if you don't plan on installing and using a repeater, you may not have much choice but front so that your remotes are functional. Sorry if that is elementary, but I did not know what a repeater was until joining this Site a few months ago. Learning something new each day. I used a $40 black pressed wood rack found on craigslist. put it in the back right of my room and the remotes still work:) if pointed up eek.gif

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #4 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Your comments are good ones. I had originally thought locating them at the front of the room but I'm now starting to think that maybe along a side wall might be best. My room layout is awkward at best. Attached is sketch of the layout. I am also looking for suggestions on speaker placement and/or seating arrangements that could help me optimize the visual and audio performance.

20121009103616160.pdf 48k .pdf file
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ideally, you want you'd want your HDMI run to the projector to be as short as possible to minimize any signal issues. However, a lot of times the projector ends up being mounted in the middle of the room, so it's about the same distance to the front as it is the back. From my experience, the ONLY advantage to having equipment in the front of the room is that you can just point the remote at everything and not have to worry about repeaters or IR/RF converters.

That being said, my current and past two theaters have had equipment mounted 1) slightly behind the seating, 2) just to the side and in front of the seating, and 3) in the back of the room. Neither of these options caused me any distractions or took away from the movie experience. My current build has the equipment in the very back of the room, which I do tend to prefer. It's also in a central point to the larger area of the basement so that is can easily be accessed during parties and get togethers as well.

Based on the PDF you just uploaded, I'd go with installing the equipment in the side wall under the stairs. You'd have access to the rear without any additional construction, and the heat would vent naturally through that cavity.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Your suggestion about placing the AC components under the stairs is a great one. The only challenge with that is running speaker wire to the fronts, center and sub, since the room is finished. What options are out there to assist in this situation?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have all but one AV gear in the back. Less lights to distract.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Runkle View Post

Your suggestion about placing the AC components under the stairs is a great one. The only challenge with that is running speaker wire to the fronts, center and sub, since the room is finished. What options are out there to assist in this situation?

Is there any type of stage or riser in the front of the room? Otherwise, you can always go under the carpet near the screen wall or even behind the baseboards with some of the flat cables designed for this approach.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page