Questions about mounting and wiring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. My family just moved into a new home and are looking to mount our new plasma above the gas fireplace. Upon doing some research, I have read that sometimes mounting above the fireplace is a bad idea so with that I bought a laser thermometer and began sampling the temperatures above the fireplace where the TV would be mounted. After running the fireplace for a hour or so, temperatures ranged from the low 80's to the low 90's. Operating range for the TV is between 50 and 104. Is this going to be a problem or is this considered normal? I would hate to have to mount the TV on the side wall to avoid the fireplace which might be used about 1/3 of the year.

My second question is about running wires. Since the builder would not allow me to pre-install any conduit, I will need to open up the wall. Fortunately, I took pictures of several stages (with and without insulation) as well as measurements and locations of the studs. It's an outside wall and the framing is 2x6's. My thought was to install a 1.5" or 2.0" pvc electrical conduit from the lower portion of the wall where the equipment will be located following up along the wall and then a long 90 degree turn and across the studs into the cavity where I will put a recessed box for the connections. So, it will look like an upside down L.

The equipment we will be starting with is simple. Cable box and blu-ray player and I am pretty sure a PS3. I plan to run to the TV cat 6 and three hdmi's for the box, player, and PS3. Later we will probably add audio, however, my wife is a simple person and more than likely will not want to go much beyond a HTIB setup.

Are there any suggestions or comments regarding my initial plan?

Thanks in advance.

-Hawkes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Based on my personal experience, for the most part, the issues people push with mounting a tv over a fireplace are minimal. Most fireplaces have a mantel of some sort that tends to catch and deflect the heat from hitting the tv anyway. For me, the biggest issue I've encountered with mounting in these locations is that the TV is typically much higher than it should be for viewing, which ends up leading to some pretty severe neck strain over time.

Your wiring plan sounds fine to me, other than all of those direct connections to the TV. I think a receiver is in your near future smile.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'd always heard you should try to be below 90°F for the fireplace. I've never had a problem with that in either of the places I've lived with fireplaces.

Good luck. I personally enjoy my TV higher than normal. I feel like I can just lean back ever so slightly and my head naturally goes that way.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page