Hiding Components in another room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I've been perusing the boards for a while, getting ideas for setting up my room. I have a few questions that was hoping someone might have some expertise/experience on.

I'm going to mount the TV on the wall, and directly behind it is a spare room closet, so perfect place to build a cabinet for DVD, Receiver, cable box, etc.

Plan would be to put a pass thru wall panel directly behind the TV and run the power cord, HDMI, etc thru the wall into the closet on the other side where I'd install a power outlet and some type of rack system.

The questions are:
This setup will be in the family room, so also the main room in our house. While I like the idea of components out of the way, I'm wondering if I should also put everything in place to allow a new home owner to set up everything in the main room.

Should I add a home theater wall panel in the main room that would allow a receiver to hook into the speaker wiring? Should there be another pass thru wall panel to allow components to sit in the cabinet under the TV?

What are the best multi use wall panels? I'm thinking in the closet I might want something that has all of the speaker plugs, maybe an HDMI plug to go from the receiver to the TV, and then a general pass thru for any other wires that need to be run (Wii sensor bar, IR repeater, etc). Is this too much? Would I just be better served to have a hole in the wall and run all the wires without these fancy, $50-$100 wall panels?

I'll likely have more questions as I start this endeavor, but basic setup is my first one for now.

Thanks to all.
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvermoreUW View Post

Hello all,
I've been perusing the boards for a while, getting ideas for setting up my room. I have a few questions that was hoping someone might have some expertise/experience on.
I'm going to mount the TV on the wall, and directly behind it is a spare room closet, so perfect place to build a cabinet for DVD, Receiver, cable box, etc.
Plan would be to put a pass thru wall panel directly behind the TV and run the power cord, HDMI, etc thru the wall into the closet on the other side where I'd install a power outlet and some type of rack system.
The questions are:
This setup will be in the family room, so also the main room in our house. While I like the idea of components out of the way, I'm wondering if I should also put everything in place to allow a new home owner to set up everything in the main room.
Should I add a home theater wall panel in the main room that would allow a receiver to hook into the speaker wiring? Should there be another pass thru wall panel to allow components to sit in the cabinet under the TV?
Don't spend any effort for the next guy. His ideas will be different than yours. Adding large panels and speaker wall plates doesn't add to the value of your house, and if they aren't exactly what the next guy wants, he's got a big hole in his wall to patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvermoreUW View Post

What are the best multi use wall panels? I'm thinking in the closet I might want something that has all of the speaker plugs, maybe an HDMI plug to go from the receiver to the TV, and then a general pass thru for any other wires that need to be run (Wii sensor bar, IR repeater, etc). Is this too much? Would I just be better served to have a hole in the wall and run all the wires without these fancy, $50-$100 wall panels?
I'll likely have more questions as I start this endeavor, but basic setup is my first one for now.
Thanks to all.
Joel

Not sure why you'd put in a panel with connectors on it, just to put in more short cables to go from the connector panel to your AVR, etc. Additional connections do not add to reliability, they detract from it. How could you anticipate all future needs for that panel? For example, you didn't mention a network connection, and somebody's going to want that some day. I don't find the panels really help much, but they can make life complicated if not done well. I'll use them for network and phone, perhaps coax cables, but usually not for speaker and HDMI. I use the Keystone snap-in jacks and the appropriate plate for the number of connections.

There are several ways to introduce wires to a space from a wall that are basically nice looking covers for holes.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042510&p_id=4001&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
+1 for a small discrete ( and easily repairable) hole and short cables.

You also might want to add an infrared repeater system for remote control.

As for rack ideas, this thread has all kinds of ideas from very budget, to very elaborate. :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/788074/show-me-your-rack
post #4 of 5 Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. Will put a little more research into this. I definitely see the sense in keeping the holes/panels to a minimum. Guess I was blinded by all the options out there, so thanks for bringing me back down to Earth.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM

+1 on a nice rack. I went from a 20 space to a 29 space rack. Always go bigger since you will eventually buy more gear.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page