Do I need Redmere or a fancy HDMI splitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm splitting the HDMI signal from my AVR to a plasma and to a projector. The guys at Monoprice recommended this powered HDMI splitter. https://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2&style= This one is half the price. https://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2&style=

I'm planning to run a 1.5ft 28awg HDMI to the splitter then to a 6 ft to the TV and then a 40ft to the projector. The question is do I need the more expensive splitter or will the cheaper one do the same job and do I need a Redmere HDMI cable with a powered splitter for a 40ft run? Doesn't the splitter already amplify the signal eliminating the need for the Redmere technology?

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
40' is a long way for an HDMI cable... I'd do anything I could to help the signal along. Which would mean an externally-powered splitter and the Redmere cable for that length.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

40' is a long way for an HDMI cable... I'd do anything I could to help the signal along. Which would mean an externally-powered splitter and the Redmere cable for that length.

Ok thanks. I guess I'll go ahead and do the nice splitter and the redmere. I like to save money but I also like not having hassles.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Liked: 12
I have a 40' length HDMI but I used Blue Jeans Cable best HDMI and a Gefen splitter......maybe overkill but YMMV.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #5 of 6 Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM

The 35' Redmere cable from monoprice works find for me even running 1080p with 3D. This is straight from a receiver to the TV. Just go with that. I have also used a 50' flat monoprice cable as well with no issues. Always test it before you go through the trouble of snaking it through a wall. You probably dont need a really fancy splitter either. No experience there for me though.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM

The 35' Redmere cable from monoprice works find for me even running 1080p with 3D. This is straight from a receiver to the TV. Just go with that. I have also used a 50' flat monoprice cable as well with no issues. Always test it before you go through the trouble of snaking it through a wall. You probably dont need a really fancy splitter either. No experience there for me though.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page