Housing plans... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a general setup of how my new house will be...still can change whatever I want and will...wont talk about that here though. I believe the home theater room on the plans is big enough. I am wondering on a few things though....is the 10' ceiling height something I should change? I have a Energy 7.2 setup(RC70s for mains, RC10s for surrounds, RC LCR for center) right now with two DIY subs in my current living room setup at my house.

So in addition to the room size I dont plan on going too crazy...projector setup(what kind dont know yet), theather type seating choices still being decided, etc. Last I was around these forums I had various threads I found that I had bookmarked regarding the materials such as green glue, whisper clips, etc and lost it all due to pc dying. Anyone have links/threads/vendors you can link me to so I can research and/or contact someone that can help with what I'll need to buy for my theater room? I'd like it to have it completely sealed off from the rest of the house so I could play anything as loud as I want without disrupting anyone sleeping. I am also thinking of having a separate A/C unit(such as a split) for just the theater room as well. 769f_1.jpg 73k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 769f_1.jpg (73.4 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/

I would start here:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/category/soundproofing-articles/

Give them a call too, Ted White, from the company is an avid poster here at AVS and you will find lots more data in the dedicated home theater subforum.

I am not sure I would really change the ceiling height. It is more volume to fill the room, but seems reasonable.

As far as projectors go, what is your budget? What size screen are you thinking?
post #3 of 10 Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/
I would start here:
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/category/soundproofing-articles/
Give them a call too, Ted White, from the company is an avid poster here at AVS and you will find lots more data in the dedicated home theater subforum.
I am not sure I would really change the ceiling height. It is more volume to fill the room, but seems reasonable.
As far as projectors go, what is your budget? What size screen are you thinking?

Thanks for the links! Projector wise I dont want to spend a ton of money(too me thats 5-6k). As for screen size I was thinking 120? I say 120 because thats the size my uncle has and it seemed big enough.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-18-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vschaos View Post

Thanks for the links! Projector wise I dont want to spend a ton of money(too me thats 5-6k). As for screen size I was thinking 120? I say 120 because thats the size my uncle has and it seemed big enough.

Screen size is relevant to seating distance. So once you know that, we can help you with screen size. That is a solid budget for a projector. You will have tons of options.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:

This is a general setup of how my new house will be...still can change whatever I want and will...wont talk about that here though. I believe the home theater room on the plans is big enough.....

Chaos, if you can still change your plans, I would make the HT larger, I built mine at 20'wide x 22' long and wish I had gone a little larger. If I were going to do one again (and I hope NOT) I would go at least 24' wide x 28' deep.

Quote:
is the 10' ceiling height something I should change?

12' x 16-10" ' is a little narrow and bowling alley-ish, but if you add a recessed coffer ceiling (easy to do) it gives a nice detail to the room and a place to add drop down screens, put can lights and hide LED rope lighting etc. Also, make sure the windows are on the tall side with your ceiling heights. Also, more general storage and if your lot allows, make the garage deeper (I know you werent asking but it is just the designer/engineer/contractor in me, hope you dont take my comments negatively)

Is the room open to the foyer? with no door?

Another thing that you may want to think about is that clipped off corner (the small hall to BR#4), as your window wall is on the other end, I know you are currently going to run an O/H projector, but two weeks ago I saw one of the Sony 4k 84" flat panels and WOW! I am (purely) guessing that in less than ten years we will have access to 120" 4k flat panels. My own HT in plan view is a box attached to the side of the great room and has three window walls. I now wish I had left one without windows to mount a large flat panel.

Have fun! Designing a new home can be a great source of fun or a huge headache, make it fun!

Eric.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post

Chaos, if you can still change your plans, I would make the HT larger, I built mine at 20'wide x 22' long and wish I had gone a little larger. If I were going to do one again (and I hope NOT) I would go at least 24' wide x 28' deep.
12' x 16-10" ' is a little narrow and bowling alley-ish, but if you add a recessed coffer ceiling (easy to do) it gives a nice detail to the room and a place to add drop down screens, put can lights and hide LED rope lighting etc. Also, make sure the windows are on the tall side with your ceiling heights. Also, more general storage and if your lot allows, make the garage deeper (I know you werent asking but it is just the designer/engineer/contractor in me, hope you dont take my comments negatively)
Is the room open to the foyer? with no door?
Another thing that you may want to think about is that clipped off corner (the small hall to BR#4), as your window wall is on the other end, I know you are currently going to run an O/H projector, but two weeks ago I saw one of the Sony 4k 84" flat panels and WOW! I am (purely) guessing that in less than ten years we will have access to 120" 4k flat panels. My own HT in plan view is a box attached to the side of the great room and has three window walls. I now wish I had left one without windows to mount a large flat panel.
Have fun! Designing a new home can be a great source of fun or a huge headache, make it fun!
Eric.

No negativity taken at all...I dont mind at all. I will not have any windows in this room at all although the plans attached show them I dont want any. The foyer portion shows it being open, but I plan on closing that in as well so the theater room is sealed off. I thought of getting rid of bedroom 4 and just adding that space to the home theater as well, but also moving bedroom 4's exterior wall to be the same as the theater's. Possibly keep the closet area how it is and use for equipment? this would also eliminate the clippe corner as it would now go straight across. I have almost 2 acres to play with so I have enough land to make bigger, but dont want to go too large as it would increas cost a bunch...I think, but would check with builder.

I built a house with this builder(My friend) back in 09, but it was my first house and even though I love the house it doesnt have a HT. I built mine almost at cost(friend had to make a little at least), but I know I can sell mine and make some money off of it. So in turn he is building new hosues starting next year in a new subdivision.....still looking at floor plans, but main priority is needs to be roughly 2500sq ft wise and a HT room which teh attached plan shows. I can take the money I make off the house I am in and put towards other things like the HT room, generator for home, etc
post #7 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:

No negativity taken at all...I dont mind at all. I will not have any windows in this room at all although the plans attached show them I dont want any. The foyer portion shows it being open, but I plan on closing that in as well so the theater room is sealed off. I thought of getting rid of bedroom 4 and just adding that space to the home theater as well, but also moving bedroom 4's exterior wall to be the same as the theater's. Possibly keep the closet area how it is and use for equipment? this would also eliminate the clippe corner as it would now go straight across....

Glad you didn't!!

If you dont mind losing the fourth bedroom, that is what I would do. Actually, that is what I did, I built my +/- 3,300 SF house with 3 bedrooms and one HT!! And I have an equipment closet in the HT, and I still dont have drapes in the HT!!

Quote:
...I have almost 2 acres to play with so I have enough land to make bigger, but dont want to go too large as it would increas cost a bunch...I think, but would check with builder...

Chaos! You just described my house on two acres!! but my story is I had the house framed and ready for the roofer sub (I dont do roofs anymore!) when I was standing in my great room with my buddy looking out the window and said "Get your tape, I always wanted a home theater!..." I moved into it about two years ago, back in '08 I was looking at $24k Sim2 C3X which was 720P!! but it did throw out one hell of a picture of the Russians playing Sweden in hocky -- Anyway, I didn't buy it as I had never finished my HT, and fast forward to now, I just paid $3.2k for a JVC X30, need to order the screen and pick up a new AV reciever (Marantz?)

Do you have any plans for ceiling treatments? Coffered, Vaulted, etc? You could do some nice transitions with that layout and now is the time.

You could also "sink" the HT down 8" quite easy unless you are doing a slab. What state are you in?

And why a split system on a new house?

Good luck on the build. Eric
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post

Glad you didn't!!
If you dont mind losing the fourth bedroom, that is what I would do. Actually, that is what I did, I built my +/- 3,300 SF house with 3 bedrooms and one HT!! And I have an equipment closet in the HT, and I still dont have drapes in the HT!!
Chaos! You just described my house on two acres!! but my story is I had the house framed and ready for the roofer sub (I dont do roofs anymore!) when I was standing in my great room with my buddy looking out the window and said "Get your tape, I always wanted a home theater!..." I moved into it about two years ago, back in '08 I was looking at $24k Sim2 C3X which was 720P!! but it did throw out one hell of a picture of the Russians playing Sweden in hocky -- Anyway, I didn't buy it as I had never finished my HT, and fast forward to now, I just paid $3.2k for a JVC X30, need to order the screen and pick up a new AV reciever (Marantz?)
Do you have any plans for ceiling treatments? Coffered, Vaulted, etc? You could do some nice transitions with that layout and now is the time.
You could also "sink" the HT down 8" quite easy unless you are doing a slab. What state are you in?
And why a split system on a new house?
Good luck on the build. Eric

Never heard of a roofer sub before...will have to look that up. Not sure on the ceiling treatments at this point, but the soundproofiing links above are where I am starting at. I'm located in Mississippi and will have a slab so not going to be able to "sink" the HT. What do you mean by split system?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Never heard of a roofer sub before...will have to look that up.

Sub contractor as I am too old to be climbing up on 8:12 pitch roofs.

Quote:
Not sure on the ceiling treatments at this point, but the soundproofiing links above are where I am starting at. I'm located in Mississippi and will have a slab so not going to be able to "sink" the HT. What do you mean by split system?

Your original post stated "I am also thinking of having a separate A/C unit(such as a split) for just the theater room as well" and I just wonder why you would need a seperate AC system for that room, whether or not it is a split system or not.

If you are planning a slab foundation, make sure you have plenty of attic space access and drop in some inner-duct down the walls prior to sheetrocking, helps to future proof the home.

Also, I dont know what type of insulation you are planning on, but I will never build another home without using spray foam insulation.

Sounds like a fun project, make sure you keep enjoying it!

Eric.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great floor plan. Consider having a separate equipment space for the HT with easy access to the connections. Not sure if you want a ceiling mounted projector or not but weighing the pros and cons of projector location should be considered.

And one other item not related to HT, for your grilling porch consider screeing it and installing a ceiling fan to help the air circulate better. You will probably want a door too.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page