Ceiling shelf idea for projector (instead of PJ mount) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was thinking for my next projector, which is going to be pretty heavy, I would stop using my existing PJ ceiling mount (cheap monoprice) and build some sort of ceiling mounted shelf so that the PJ can sit on its feet, rock solid steady . I think this is much better than a mount for various reasons revolving around the flexibility and ease of PJ placement, removal, swapping, etc.

The attached image shows the closes thing I found on the net. A hush box is not what I am after, but rather a simple shelf where the PJ can be placed. I want the shelf to mount to the ceiling via 4 anchor points, rock solid, instead of a 'pole' like some hush boxes I have seen.

I couldnt find any threads on this... Can anyone tell me pros/cons of doing this? Obviously the attachment of the rig to the ceiling would have to be very strong against the studs...

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh never mind, I just realized most PJs cannot project downwards while sittng on their feet. HAS to be inverted, so this idea would not work on a ceiling location.

post #3 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Look around at mounts. Some of them offer very flexible mounts with quick release mechanisms. That said, I don't understand why you would need to unmount your projector very often? I know for me, once I get everything setup and locked in place, I don't move it again unless I need to replace a lamp or something. Which is like every 3-4 years.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

Oh never mind, I just realized most PJs cannot project downwards while sittng on their feet. HAS to be inverted, so this idea would not work on a ceiling location.

I think it depends how far above the screen you want your shelf to be. I have mine on a ceiling mounted shelf. I just replaced a 6 year old Sony with a Panasonic 8000 and both work just fine being mounted higher than the screen. Granted, the lens is probably no more than 3-4 inches above the screen, but it works just fine. I have kids who play in the room directly above the PJ and it never moves a bit.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow. The panny 8000 is what I'm about to purchase. And according to the manual I found online, the projected image bottom must be above the lens- assuming table mounted. Maybe I interpreted wrong. So, you think if I ceiling mount the 8000 in shelf position (not inverted) then I can project an image that has top of the frame located about 5 inches above the lens 14 feet away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post

Quote:

I think it depends how far above the screen you want your shelf to be. I have mine on a ceiling mounted shelf. I just replaced a 6 year old Sony with a Panasonic 8000 and both work just fine being mounted higher than the screen. Granted, the lens is probably no more than 3-4 inches above the screen, but it works just fine. I have kids who play in the room directly above the PJ and it never moves a bit.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Wow. The panny 8000 is what I'm about to purchase. And according to the manual I found online, the projected image bottom must be above the lens- assuming table mounted. Maybe I interpreted wrong. So, you think if I ceiling mount the 8000 in shelf position (not inverted) then I can project an image that has top of the frame located about 5 inches above the lens 14 feet away?

So you're saying the top of the screen will be a little bit higher than the lens? That shouldn't cause any problem at all. The only problem I've heard, and haven't tried yet, is that the lens can't be higher than the top of the screen when using lens memory to shift between 16:9 and 2.35:1 settings. But from what I understand, you would even bo okay in that situation if the top of your screen is even a few inches higher than the lens. You'll love the 8000.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And this is true regardless of orientation of the pj? It sounds like the pj is able to throw an image DIRECTLY in front of the lens, and then with lens shift it us able to project above or below the lens.

post #8 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:

And this is true regardless of orientation of the pj? It sounds like the pj is able to throw an image DIRECTLY in front of the lens, and then with lens shift it us able to project above or below the lens.

Check out the vertical shift section, bottom of page 24 in the manual.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/projector/extranet/main/products/ae8kat6k/manual/AE8000U_EN.pdf
post #9 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post

Quote:

Check out the vertical shift section, bottom of page 24 in the manual.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/projector/extranet/main/products/ae8kat6k/manual/AE8000U_EN.pdf
thanks I think I understand it now. Should not be a problem to ceiling mount in regular orientation and use the vert. shift to project downward. I'm going to plan for the ceiling shelf. I'm convinced this is the cheapest and most stable and versatile solution to pj mounting. Not sure why this isn't done more often.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I kinda like this idea too!!!!. Anyone know if this method would be compatible with the JVC X30? If so, is there a pre-fab kit available for purchase? I saw a few adjustable ceiling shelves at Home Depot but they all seem so industrial and may not blend well in a dedicated HT. Hopefully there is a ready-made kit for this purpose somewhere.

atabea
post #11 of 15 Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Panasonic has an exceptional level of lens shift, more than many other manufacturers, this may have something to do with how easily this installation method lends itself to any situation. The other potential pitfall is that issue of the projector not being fastened to the shelf, which could allow it to be accidently moved more easily. Probably not an issue in most residential installs barring unrestrained teenagers. If you ensure you aren't impeding the air flow for the cooling system, you should be ok.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #12 of 15 Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

Panasonic has an exceptional level of lens shift, more than many other manufacturers, this may have something to do with how easily this installation method lends itself to any situation. The other potential pitfall is that issue of the projector not being fastened to the shelf, which could allow it to be accidently moved more easily. Probably not an issue in most residential installs barring unrestrained teenagers. If you ensure you aren't impeding the air flow for the cooling system, you should be ok.

no unruly teenagers. No problem with ventilation. If I can get the shelf to be about the same height as my current pj mount, evrythign should work. Just wish there was a ready-made solution.

atabea
post #13 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Thank you for this thread. My first thought when going to front projection was that I wanted to put the projector on a shelf behind the wall in the room behind my HT/Gaming room (cut hole in wall), but everything always shows the projector ceiling mounted upside down. Thanks for so specifically pointing out the full capabilities of the vertical lens shift in the 8000. Now I can return all of the ceiling mount gear I had bought and set things up the way I wanted to in the first place!

Thousands of experiments have conclusively proven that beating drums and clashing cymbals brings back the sun after a total eclipse.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
I am attempting this too. Anyone else got pics of completed versions? I have low ceilings and mounting into enclosed & boxed I beam.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM
rmf

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page