Blu-ray through receiver = only static, no picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have an LG Blu-ray player into an Onkyo receiver out to a projector through HDMI.

When Blu-ray player is plugged directly into the projector, it works fine. When it goes through the receiver, all I get is a static-grey picture.

It's not the cables, and I have other devices running through the receiver through HDMI just fine.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Have you tried the CEC ( I think that's what its called) where you can control other devices with the HDMI cable turned off? I know some brands don't play nice with that on. You might have a bad HDMI port on the Onkyo, they have a known HDMI board issue that was talked about in the owners forum. If you have more HDMI inputs than you need you could just simply change the input and be done.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I tried other inputs with the same issue. So I doubt it's that.

I'll give the CEC thing, but it a signal is definitely sent out from the receiver, it's just not a picture. It's static.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What Onkyo receiver do you have, and as I understand it is only the combo of the LG player and the Onkyo that is the issue, right? Other components are switched through the Onkyo without issues correct? Is there more than one HDMI out? This is strange, and not to beat a dead horse but your are sure that it is not a cable issue, correct?

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Other components work just fine, yes. And I've tried multiple combinations of cables and the Blu-ray player remains the one thing that doesn't work. It's not 3D either, just in case anyone wonders that.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
When recently upgrading to Blu-ray player, I literally bought 4 players before I found one that would actually work through my HDMI input/output of Sony receiver. After the first couple of failures, found out that the 'handshaking' issue with Bluray players and recievers is a MAJOR issue and can be hit/miss with a ton of models, even after upgrading firmware.

First one would play a movie if you shut off, then on several times (but timing had to be just right) and switch back and forth on inputs. I even ripped out the HDMI cable to projector, thinking that was the issue. Second and third BluRay players never got the video or audio signal through the receiver. Finally, the fourth played just fine.

Settled on a Panasonic that has worked flawlessly for several months. Walmart special at just $88 and has wireless apps as well.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page