Long time lurker 1st time poster, now my basement build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking around back in 2006 when I got into my 1st real TV, real as in not a 4:3 anymore. A quick look once or twice a year and I never got around to making a post.
A little background on me, I'm an I.T. guy for the last 14 years at a university. I got thrown into our media department about 3 years ago and I've had to hit the ground running learning how to design and install media equipment with my only experience being what I've learned on my own. I have some great resources now with fellow coworkers and some training I've been to. However almost all of our knowledge is based on academic environments and conference rooms. So even though we use a lot of projectors they are almost always a 4:3 and now recently a 16:10 format. I do get to play with a lot of toys and even get to take our old and obsolete equipment home.

So I had my basement finished 3 years ago when I had my 1st kid and the wife decided that the bedroom office I had was to be given up for a nursery. I offered her to give up her spare room and she can have an office built in the basement but she denied my request and countered with, just get the whole thing finished and you can have a man cave. Needless to say I'm not stupid and I jumped on that one.

We finished about 75% of the total basement and sectioned off 2 areas. 1 got french doors and became my office (PC gaming room) and the other holds all the utilities and what's left for storage. Its on the half finished wall to the utility area that I shine the projector on to and behind that wall I have an old rack I took from work. I'll see if I can attach photos here. In this rack I have an old Crestron control processor so I can control everything with an RF remote (I since broke it and have gone back to the IR for now)

As you can see in this photo I have an Epson 7900 which is pretty bright but the rez is lacking a bit. I can run 1080 stuff to it but I think it just downconverts it to 1280x800 or less. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter on it so I ran just one long HDMI cable to it from my AVR

On the wall behind the couch with the small closet door is a small access closet for the sump pump. Its unfinished inside but I was thinking of cutting it out to the back of the couch and mounting the rack there so I can use IR and not have to go inside the storage area to insert media and such. Will being in the same area as the sump be too humid? The pump runs a lot but I've never had any apparent moisture above the pump cover.

And lastly here is the wall I shine it on. Everything in the basement is just primer white for now, the office is red but I haven't gotten around to picking a color for the rest of the basement yet. I have a few choices here. I can splurge and buy some screen paint, or I have access to a lot of screens that have seen better days. I got one that has a perfect screen but will no longer roll itself back up, so my thought is this. I can take the screen material and some way mount it on the wall and build a molding around it to make a permanent screen? Anyone have thoughts on that?

I have a living room upstairs I'm proud off but I'll save that for a later post.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this!
-ZS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
ZS,

Again welcome to the madness! I guess I get to be the first to post on your new build thread :-)
Looks to me like you have a decent space to work with. If you could sketch a layout that will help everyone better visualize what you are planning.
Until then a few questions:

What is your ceiling height?
How wide is that screen area on your front wall? Also; the height limitation under that soffit along the right hand wall?
What is the length of your room from the screen to the back wall, and to what appears to be a support column in the back?

Your idea of utilizing that back closet door area for equipment makes sense - but lets get a look at a sketch for the entire layout.

Now then let the madness begin !

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #3 of 9 Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yeah! Number two to post! Like Cuzed said welcome to the madness, let the games begin! Oh and as stated before pictures, sketches, pictures, and sketches. The more you give us the better we will be at helping you and spending YOUR money.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
... and hanes makes three ...

wildlife-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-n.jpg

Welcome to yet another poor unsuspecting sucker about to go down the HT rabbit hole!

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

red-pill.jpg

Choose wisely ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #5 of 9 Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I guess that makes me number four.

Hmmmm, how does the saying go? Was third the one with the "treasure chest" or "hairy chest"? wink.gif

I agree with everyone else that a sketch would help us see the overall plan. In regards to the screen, I'm sure that you could build a frame to attach the material to and then mount it to the wall, but without knowing more about the material, there may be better options for a home theater.

Welcome to the forum!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #6 of 9 Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Oh how I wish I had taken the blue pill (not THAT blue pill the other one), or at least my billfold does anyway.

Regards,

RTROSE

On a serious note however I read that you have a sump pump. I HIGHLY HIGHLY encourage, neigh I ORDER you to invest in a battery backup sump pump system. They aren't cheap but the cost of the system is far less than a basement redo, or in some cases even your insurance deductible.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the long delay! Went to CA for a week and got stuck out there a bit longer due to the storm back in NJ. Luckily we didn't lose power and the sump pump had no issues. I've been scared into getting a battery back up for the pump so now I'll start shopping for one! Prob should of gotten one last week but luck was on my side this time.. maybe not the case next time!

The ceilings are 7'10" and about 7' under the soffits but I don't plan on putting anything under that lower part since they are out of the way. I'll have to measure the wall I project onto but I do know that I have the projector maxed right now throwing about a 79" x 62" image right now. Just still trying to decide if I should go with a painted screen of hack up the roll up one I have and make a frame for it. I would really like to get my RF remote working again but if anyone knows of a cheap alternative I'm all ears! (or eyes to read it in this case)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiestig View Post

I would really like to get my RF remote working again but if anyone knows of a cheap alternative I'm all ears! (or eyes to read it in this case)

I found a cheap RF remote solution that works fine for me, if you're still searching. Details hidden somewhere in this rambling post.

Now don't fade away before you get started. You can do it!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #9 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I actually just picked up a Logitech Harmony link. Since the rack is in the room behind the screen I have it in there and just set one of the IR eyes thru the wall on top of the Wii sensor bar I already have there to get the projector. So far it's working great since the remote is now wifi IP based with my iPhone and iPad. The only downside so far is trying to get the programing right for the projector. The unit I have doesn't have a dedicated HDMI input button so I need to look into tweaking the harmony software to hit video 3x for that input. I might just find a way to scale to the projector and never turn it off that input, but that might need me to use a better av receiver.

Thanks for looking out Hanesian! I'm still psyched up for this and I get a huge break for xmas so I plan on wasting a lot of time down there fiddling with it!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page