HT Help! Point me in the right direction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I have been living in an apartment that wasnt friendly to home theatre for the past few years. I am now moving into a home with a fairly decent size living room. I obviously want to set something up smile.gif

I have a Pioneer VSX-1016...its 7.1. I was told it was still OK to use...Im on a budget...atleast i think i am. I have to say, its really hard to describe what "budget" is when it comes to HT speakers/receiver.

What do i want? I want to use my existing receiver...for now...i am looking for a 5.1 satellite speaker package. Needs to be WAF

What have I looked at? The Bose Acoustimass 10 @ Best Buy. I stopped after that because its $1000. I dont know if its "worth" a $1,000. To me that's the MOST i can spend on a speaker package.

I started some digging and looked at some Paradigm Cinema CT100 package online and then Definitive Technology packages and Mirage NanoSats. They seemed to get good reviews, but then again so do some MartinLogan and Polk HT packages.

I DON'T KNOW WHATS GOOD frown.gif

Are their website reviews (other than AVS Forum) that I can rely on for reviews on HT speakers for under $1,000?

its also hard to find stores that I can demo in long island...that would also help me.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavman View Post

What have I looked at? The Bose Acoustimass 10 @ Best Buy. I stopped after that because its $1000. I dont know if its "worth" a $1,000. To me that's the MOST i can spend on a speaker package.

Let me stop you right there... biggrin.gif I think we'll all agree you don't want that.
Quote:
I started some digging and looked at some Paradigm Cinema CT100 package online and then Definitive Technology packages and Mirage NanoSats. They seemed to get good reviews, but then again so do some MartinLogan and Polk HT packages.

All of those brands make high quality speakers. You're going the correct route. I'm partial to the MartinLogan Motions, but I've used DefTech and Mirage (like them both), Paradigm are excellent as well, and Polk can be a very good value. You'll be fine with any of those.
Quote:
Are their website reviews (other than AVS Forum) that I can rely on for reviews on HT speakers for under $1,000?

Nope. None. wink.gif

You should look in the Speakers forum, though, you'll probably get more responses to a very speaker-centric question like this.
Quote:
its also hard to find stores that I can demo in long island...that would also help me.

Highly recommend you go somewhere you can hear them. And buy them there. Speakers have a lot of character, and have a lot of differences in sound that make one person prefer A over B. Listen for yourself, bring your own music. And yes, listen to music on them, too...

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I went to best buy on saturday.

I listened to the deftech 600, 800 and 1000's. Really liked how they sounded. However, i also got to listen to B&W M-1's....loved them. So much cleaner than the def tech satellites. I ended up getting 5 B&W M-1's plus the def tech supercube II 600w sub!

I can't wait to pick it up this week (they didnt have the sat's in stock).

Anyone have anything to say about B&W M-1's?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM

I think the M-1s are a great choice. It does depend on your ears but the M-1's, in my personal opinion of course, is able to hit a range of listening preferences.

Where do you get them? If you don't mind me asking.

Antoine Snow | System Designer
asnow@magnoliaav.com
http://www.magnoliaav.com

I don't know everything...but I love what I do and am willing to learn from all of you

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Audio/Video, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thats good to hear.

To me, they sounded really good. I was just about to buy the deftech 1000's but the M-1's sounded so much better to me. The supercube 2 sub was a world of difference from the deftech 800 and 1000 series sub.

I picked these up at bestbuy in westbury, worked with Chris. The guy really knew his stuff. He was able to work out a deal for me.

They didnt have 2 of the sat's instock so I will be going back this weekend to pick them up.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Did everything work out?

Antoine Snow | System Designer
asnow@magnoliaav.com
http://www.magnoliaav.com

I don't know everything...but I love what I do and am willing to learn from all of you

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Audio/Video, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page