Need help planning basement home theater - projector / screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just moved into a new home in Wisconsin and am having my basement built out asap using the Total Basement Finishing system which uses interlocking wall panels, floor tiles and ceiling tiles.
I have an area about 12 1/2 ' X 23 ' that I was planning to use as a home theater using a projector. I already settled on the Sony VPL-HW30 because I am a gamer and want 3D as well as 2D goodness smile.gif
I am in the process of hiring some A/V people to pre wire my setup for 7.1 sound and install the projector and screen. I have 6 Polk Series IIs and a PSW-505 /CS20 for my speakers that I plan to place all around.
I was thinking seating and projector to be about 15-16' away from the screen.

Here lies my dilemma....I want to go for as big a screen as I can. Unfortunately the pipes carrying air from my furnace run lengthwise along the center of my basement (along the 23' length) and juts out a good bit into my finished area forcing the ceiling to run below it.
My installer said that I would have at least 80" of clearance from the ceiling panel to be installed below this and the floor tile at the shortest portion. That gives me barely 7' of clearance across my 12.5' width and my proposed screen would have to be installed right below the ceiling panel to maxmimize height.

Also, my projector would need to mounted at or below this height right? In order to cast an image straight across and sweeping below?

12 foot wall for screen
===========================================================

================
width of pipe running
along length of wall

What does that leave me with? In terms of screen size? Can I go as large as a 120', dare I even think of a 133'?? or am I being too ambitious?
The width might fit but the height is a concern. Only one of the contractors bidding brought this to my attention and suggested I think it through before committing to a screen size.
I don't plan on tiered seating but if I only have a foot of clearance off of the floor, might that affect my image? Is this the case even given the distance away that I plan seating?

What do you gurus think?

Also any advice on choice of screen, I often hear the names DaLite, Stewart, Elite, Draper, Carada etc.

What screen material would work best? I plan single row couch seating at the distance of 15' or more.... I plan to use 3D as well as 2D so is matte white with 1.0 gain the best for that usage profile?

With the Sony HW 30, would a high contrast screen be needed? Or a gray color one with gain < 1.0.
Given the beige/white of my wall panels and floor tiles and the white of my roof, I will have 8-10 can lights on a dimmer but was concerned about reflections and didn't know if my screen needed to be darker or have higher gain to compensate?

Please excuse my n00b questions, I've never ever owned a projector/screen before and want to get this right for my man cave smile.gif

Thanks much in advance for any assistance or suggestions you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess "I was too vague in my question, in any case the AV guys I hired got me a 133" DragonFly with barely a foot clearance at thte top and bottom, as large as I could have gone on my wall end with a gain of 1, 3D works awesome with the HW30AES, no regrets on any count. As others have also said, go as big as you can, otherwise you will always regret not doing so later smile.gif
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page