Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 85 Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
EDIT - 11/28/2012

I've now decided to just make this my "build" log thread instead. Will update it with more information as it progresses smile.gif

ORIGINAL POST

My first projector (Panasonic AE8000) ever arrived yesterday and I started playing around with it. I wanted to get the projector first before the screen because I wanted to project onto the place where the screen will be, to see what would look good size wise. I did not want to go too big with the screen first so I went this route. Below are a few pics I took last night:

http://imgur.com/a/NFEJ4

The screen in that picture is probably around 126" and I'm going to be sitting about 13-14 feet back. I did have it sized to 120" and I think that size was a good size for what I like, so I'm probably going to go with that.

And before some of the next questions are addressed, I would like to mention that I do already have a Denon 4311ci and will be using that as the AVR powering everything.

Now I have a couple of questions in general...

#1.

I know it is recommended to have dark walls in the room you will be using the projector, however I did not realize just how much the white colored walls/ceiling/carpet would reflect light. The opening beach scene where it just shows the shore/beach before they show the boats coming in almost looked washed out because of the reflections, and this was in a pitch dark room.

So my wife is cool with me painting the wall and possibly the ceiling. I would prefer to not go black and just like a dark red or blue, if that would work. Is that something that would work? And if so, what finish is best?

Additionally, would putting down some sort of black carpet on the ground where the screen is be something that would help as well, or will painting the wall be good enough?

And when I do eventually get a screen, will that cut back on the light reflected? Also, I'm not too sure at all what gain would be good for the screen I do purchase.

#2.

I am looking for recommendations for brands of speakers/subs to demo out. I have demo'd some B&W CM9's and the matching center (forget which rears), and those things were pretty awesome. I believe the price for just the fronts + center were like $4500. I also demo'd a Klipsch RF7 II's, RC64 II, and RS-62 II and that was a pretty amazing setup as well. Last I checked I had a deal and could get the same setup for about $4000.

Now my budget for speakers I'm looking to spend around $5k max, but looking closer to around $4k if possible.

I did start a thread on these forums a while back with some detailed measurements of my room and everything, which is located here with more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431289/noob-looking-for-some-advice-recommendations-for-my-first-ht-setup

#3.

I really know NOTHING about subs. I am not sure what brands to look for, and I'm not sure if I should go with a 5.1 or a 5.2 setup. I'd say my sub budget is around $2k for the time being, but would budge a bit if it is worth it. So I'm looking for suggestions on that as well.

Well I think that is all for now, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The connection I'm on right now is not the best so I did not look at the pic yopu posted. I did a diy painted on screen, the screen wall is a deep red, the other walls are a medium tan. My screen is 108", I do not have a problem with reflected light. There is some good info on the diy screen thread here. B&W and Klipsch are both very good brands, there are so many others. The best advise I can give you is to go listen to as many different setups in your price range as you can. many people like internet direct companies for speakers and subs, no retail markup so that is an option. For a 2k sub, the internet direct company Seaton Sound gets great reviews on their subs. I have never heard one but know some people who have and raved about it. You should check out the "what's your system configuration" thread, lots of info and pics.

post #3 of 85 Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Obviously, a totally black room is ideal, but it doesn't make sense for most people. For me, the next best step is to paint the screen wall black and go with darker colors on the remaining walls. If you want something else, you can be pretty choosy with the colors, just keeping in mind that darker will always be better.

A flat finish is your best best for the screen wall and ceiling, as it will minimize the light reflections. Worst case scenario is a gloss-finish, so you can find your happy place somewhere in between if flat doesn't work for you.

Screen brightness is measured in how much gain the screen adds (or detracts). A gain of 1.0 should reflect back what hits it. If your image needs a little more pop, you can go with a higher gain. Many companies make grey screens that have a gain of less than 1.0. These are typically used to help with black levels. I have an AE-3000 and went with a gain of 1.4. I've been pretty happy with that.

+1 on Klipsch products by the way - I love them.

Hope that helps!
post #4 of 85 Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Liked: 10
rszmdj.jpg
post #5 of 85 Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I'm pretty sure I am going to go with a Glidden darker red colored paint. The guy at HD said that the Glidden is probably the "flattest" of them all if that makes any sense, and I took a bunch of cards to test out in the basement and my wife and I liked one of the Glidden dark red ones best.
post #6 of 85 Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

So I'm pretty sure I am going to go with a Glidden darker red colored paint. The guy at HD said that the Glidden is probably the "flattest" of them all if that makes any sense, and I took a bunch of cards to test out in the basement and my wife and I liked one of the Glidden dark red ones best.

You should be fine with a dark red. I'm not so sure I trust the HD guy though with the "flattest" comment though. Flat should be flat across the brands.
post #7 of 85 Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

You should be fine with a dark red. I'm not so sure I trust the HD guy though with the "flattest" comment though. Flat should be flat across the brands.

Yea he said they are all flat, he just mentioned that one for some reason as being flatter. It didn't really persuade me to choose that color though.
post #8 of 85 Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

No worries - I just tend to give HD employees about as much credit as the ones trying to sell me something at Best Buy.
post #9 of 85 Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

if you look at my "whats your system configuration" thread you will see an example of the dark red screen wall. I also call bs on the "flattest" thing
drock512 likes this.

post #10 of 85 Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Welp this wasn't fun last night getting all of this set up...

I'm probably going to paint it tonight, if I don't decide to play Halo 4 all night!

Will update with pics once it's done.
post #11 of 85 Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 PM

That's a nice room purbeast!!! Looks like we are kind of in the same boat with prefinished areas. Dude, dont play the damn game...get some work done!!! You will be very surprised how much better that looks in the Deep Garnet shade. Go back to mine one more time.

Are you planning a DIY screen or manufactured? Is that image 16:9 or cinemascope? Will you be masking at all or utilizing CIH?

I can't even imagine what a $4-5K audio system would sound like. Also, wonder how bad the kick in the nuts would hurt when I pop the "$4000 for new speakers" question to the wife biggrin.gif I think I could take it for a new set of B&Ws eek.gif

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #12 of 85 Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM

oh and you're going to need another gallon of paint cool.gif

post #13 of 85 Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I painted my first coat last night ... and it looks like **** lol. But from my reading I've done, a dark red paint, especially over a lighter color like I have, is going to take a few coats.

Tonight I am going to try to do another coat. I also have to get my plastic taped to the baseboard a little bit better because it was coming off as I was painting, and kind of scaring me that paint could slip between the plastic and the wall and get on the carpet. But I think I am okay. I just have to allow more slack in the plastic because it was coming off in a few spots when it was taught from me standing on it.

Oh, and I plan on purchasing a screen when I get that far, not a DIY one.
post #14 of 85 Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I used this exact same color in my first build. It took 2 solid coats, and in some places a light 3rd coat to even it out.
post #15 of 85 Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Hey Purb...get yourself a spray bottle of OXY or Woolite pet stain cleaner. Wet paint, even red, will come right out of the carpet with this stuff. I taped and put plastic sheets down and as usual the stuff is just crap. I had a few drips here and there but if you stop for 2 minutes for a quick clean up job, its all good. Dont worry so much and get that paint on the wall. And get some pics of that crappy first coat:) You wont believe how good the 2nd coat is. It will make you smile smile.gif

post #16 of 85 Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well last night I finished the 2nd coat, and it definitely still needs at least 1 more coat. Maybe even 4 lol.

My mom came over last night since she has painted a ton to show me how to paint "correctly" which wasn't very far off from what I was doing by the end of my first coat. But I also fixed taping the plastic down the floor and it wasn't an issue this time since I gave it much more slack and did not put any cardboard near where I was painting.

Here are pics of the first coat and 2nd coat, and this was while it was still wet in both instances.

FIRST COAT:

SECOND COAT:

You can LOL all you want at the first coat, because my wife and I were, and my mom was too when she saw it last night!

If after a 3rd or 4th coat it doesn't look quite even (but I think it will) I am probably going to grab some Benjamin Moore paint and use that since I've been reading about the quality of it. But I really think I will be okay after possibly my 3rd coat, but most likely the 4th if necessary.

I will be doing the 3rd coat tonight as soon as I get home from work.
post #17 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Good work!!! I am surprised that the 2nd coat didnt do it for you. I am sure the 3rd will be the charm. Good pics too. I thought I had created a disaster after my 1st coat. Its all good though. Keep it up, its worth it in the end.

post #18 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Forgot that I hadn't added in my finished pics. There is a little bit of touch up I have to do on the baseboard in 2 areas, but other than that it came out great!

I'm going to get my screen and mount the projector, and if I decide there is too much light reflecting from the side wall and ceiling, then I am going to paint those as well. But for now, keeping it as it is in the pictures above.
post #19 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks great. You probably could have saved some paint costs if you had used some tinted primer before the first coat, but either way, the final product looks great. It really adds some warmth to the room.
post #20 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks great. You probably could have saved some paint costs if you had used some tinted primer before the first coat, but either way, the final product looks great. It really adds some warmth to the room.

Well I only used 1 gallon of it so I'm not sure how much I could have saved actually!

And FWIW, I ended up with 4 coats total on that wall.
post #21 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM

Tell your mom i said "well done!" Looks like you are ready for some fun now!!!! Only one gallon??? I used a little over 1 gallon for two coats. What size nap roller did you use? That wall looks pretty big. My guess is that you will probably want to paint the other walls. If I could, I would. I will most likely end up painting my right side to match. My room is open to the left. I have just started noticing how much light is spilled to the ceiling as well. But its a drop ceiling and WAF is going to curtail any mods to it frown.gif

Paint on the wall is awesome ain't it? Congrats on the job, keep it going.

post #22 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUrator View Post

Tell your mom i said "well done!" Looks like you are ready for some fun now!!!! Only one gallon??? I used a little over 1 gallon for two coats. What size nap roller did you use? That wall looks pretty big. My guess is that you will probably want to paint the other walls. If I could, I would. I will most likely end up painting my right side to match. My room is open to the left. I have just started noticing how much light is spilled to the ceiling as well. But its a drop ceiling and WAF is going to curtail any mods to it frown.gif
Paint on the wall is awesome ain't it? Congrats on the job, keep it going.

Yea I was talking to my wife about it last night. I may paint the ceiling up until the first duct drop the same red color.

I may also paint either the whole wall on the right the same red color, or I may end up putting some black or red velvet curtain in the corner so that light won't reflect much off of there. I'm still not sure yet. I'm going to get my screen first and see how it looks, but I'm thinking that it is going to reflect a lot of light off the bright walls.

My setup also is going to be open over on the left side. I'm going to be placing the screen basically where the big open area on the wall is. I'm going with a 120" screen for sure as well, was measuring it all out last night.

I am probably going to order it this week, and I can't wait!

As far as the tools I used, I used a 9" roller and a 2" brush for the edges. The wall is about 20' x 7'10".
post #23 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I think he was actually asking about the length of the nap on the roller. Longer nap holds more paint.

Painting your ceiling will give you some very noticeable improvements. Start with an entirely black room and then work backwards to white from there. Anything darker than pure white is an improvement for the space. It's just a matter of how dark you want to go and what you're comfortable with.
post #24 of 85 Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ah I am not even sure what the nap on a roller is, as this is my first time painting hah. It was some $5 microfiber roll that I bought at HD.

So I've been contemplating a bit about how I could add some dark colors to that area of the room to help with reflections.

I had a buddy help out with a photoshop job on 2 of the ideas I had. Do you all think the first one here would help quite a bit with the contrast and dampening the reflections? That white line down on the wall would be siding that is similar to the baseboard.

And here is with the whole wall painted dark red.

If my seating area is to be infront of that white pole (basically have the seats rear flush against the pole) would the first scenario probably do just as much to help the contrast/reflections as the second? I do like the look of the first one there.
post #25 of 85 Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The nap is how long the strands are on the roller, kind of like how long the hair on your head is.

I actually like option #2 better. I think carrying that color down the entire wall would make the room more uniform. However, I would suggest doing a contrasting color on the ceiling so that you don't have a completely red box. Don't be afraid to look into some dark browns or blacks. With the lights off, the ceiling will completely disappear during movie time.

Another option would be to even do a 3rd color on the soffits around the theater space.
post #26 of 85 Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The nap is how long the strands are on the roller, kind of like how long the hair on your head is.
I actually like option #2 better. I think carrying that color down the entire wall would make the room more uniform. However, I would suggest doing a contrasting color on the ceiling so that you don't have a completely red box. Don't be afraid to look into some dark browns or blacks. With the lights off, the ceiling will completely disappear during movie time.
Another option would be to even do a 3rd color on the soffits around the theater space.

Hmm I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. Both my wife and I kind of liked option #1 better as a whole. It kind of defines the theater space, which I kind of like. I was wondering about making the ceiling a darker color as well, however I liked the look of it in the mockup there. I think black would be kind of odd in general to have on a ceiling, especially one that is only 7'10" or so tall. It would make it feel like you are cramped a bit.

Our plan is to eventually possibly put a pool table back in the area behind where the projector is sitting now, and having the room kind of "split" by color is kind of a neat tough to me.

My mind is not made up 100%. I am definitely open to suggestions to a 3rd color for the ceiling portion over red though.
post #27 of 85 Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You should be fine with #1. I have the same color sceme as you with my tan walls much closer to the screen than yours with no issues. Have you picked out your audio equipment yet?

post #28 of 85 Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

You should be fine with #1. I have the same color sceme as you with my tan walls much closer to the screen than yours with no issues. Have you picked out your audio equipment yet?

99% that I'm going to be going with B&W CM9 for mains, CMC2 for center, and CM5 for the surrounds. Not sure about the sub yet but so far I'm leaning towards JTR or Seaton as far as the brands go.
post #29 of 85 Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Purb - I like the red ceiling. It does define the space nicely. That window on the screen wall is a PITA. You should cover it!!! Then do a constant image height screen. That would give you a phenomenal size for BD playback and easily masked areas on the right and left for 16:9 viewing. that would render your whole area usable; thus, maximizing your space. I think it would be much more conducive to side surrounds and a 7.1 or 9.1 setup smile.gif

Your wall height is about the same as mine. How are you fitting in a 120" 16:9 screen. That is diagonal measurement correct? Could you project something with the size and get a picture uploaded? If I shoot a 120" 16:9 image, I am nearly onto the ceiling...the restraint being the power outlets on the wall. I did not want to move them down? Does your screen fit between them? It does not appear so.

I am a big fan of B&W. My small bookshelves produce great sound after 7 years and still at it!!!

post #30 of 85 Old 11-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really like the colors you chose, it really changes the look of the room.

I would go for option B, stopping the color part way down the lenght of the wall looks odd to me.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page