5.1 or 7.1 for my living room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just purchased my first house, and am trying to figure out the best configuration for my movie watching/music listening room. The room is just a touch under 14' wide, my viewing distance is roughly 10.5', and it opens into the kitchen in the back. I think I can mount some surround backs about 4' behind the viewing area in the ceiling, but figured I'd ask the experts here what you all think. I will try and post some pics when I can.

The room is already wired for 5 wall-mounted speakers, which makes 5.1 a breeze (or front heights if I use my ancient Infinity towers).

I use my system roughly 75% for movies and 25% for music

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 779
How would use towers as heights? Hang 'em from the ceiling? Where are the in-wall's positioned? Is appearance much more important to you than quality sound? What sub are you considering?

post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. There are already mounts on the wall to hang five speakers, wired and ready to go. I could mount two speakers for heights and keep my towers on the floor. I already have all the speakers I need for 7.1, I'm just trying to determine if I should go with 5.1, 7.1 surround back (I'd have to mount the rears), or front height.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a couple of images of the room (please forgive the clutter, we're still moving in tongue.gif):

post #5 of 8 Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 867
The fact that your seating is not against a back wall makes you an ideal candidate for a traditional 7.1 layout, with Side speakers directly to your sides and Rear speakers spread out behind you (near where your kitchen cabinets start). This will give you excellent rear-vs-side separation AND wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.

Plus, there are plenty of popular Blu-ray titles with discrete 7.1-channel soundtracks. If you do 5.1+Heights instead, then you'll be downmixing 4 discrete surround channels to 2 in order to have height channels that weren't in the soundtrack.

Sanjay
post #6 of 8 Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sdurani, I really appreciate the input. I'll take your advice on mounting near the kitchen cabinets. Do you think I should ceiling mount or wall mount back there? And please forgive my ignorance, I've never had the liberty to design my own HT before, but where should I place the rear left speaker in relation to the ceiling fan (which I don't really much plan to use, anyway)?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicl12000 View Post

I'll take your advice on mounting near the kitchen cabinets. Do you think I should ceiling mount or wall mount back there?
Don't know if you're willing to do this (aesthetically), but I would mount the rear speakers on the sides of your kitchen cabinets, below the fan but above ear height (mainly so that no one bumps their head against the speakers). For mounting, I was thinking of something as simple as a nice looking shelf in a matching colour, with shelf width being the same as kitchen cabinet depth.

Sanjay
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Forgot to ask: what speakers and receiver were you planning on using?

Sanjay
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page