Opinion on home theater quote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I got the below quote for wall mounting a 65 inch wall mount and installing surround system installation. I would like to get expert's opinion to find out if the quote is reasonable. I already have a Denon receiver.

5.1 Surround sound system installation (all wires conceal ( Custom work)) -- 237.00

Wall mount flat panel TV Installation (all wires concealed) -- $249.00

Power Outlet -- 75.00

Universal remote control programming -- 99.00

Pro Series 8" 150-Watt 3-Way In-Wall Speaker (Front pair) -- 169.00

Pro Series Dual 5.25" 120-Watt Video-Shielded 2- Way LCR In-Wall Mounted Speaker -99.00

Pro Series 8" 120-Watt 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker (Rear pair) -- 169.00

8" 150-Watt Compact Powered Subwoofer - Black Gloss Finish -299.00

Drywall repair (Patch, sand & primer wall) --229.00

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman9999 View Post

Hello,
I got the below quote for wall mounting a 65 inch wall mount and installing surround system installation. I would like to get expert's opinion to find out if the quote is reasonable. I already have a Denon receiver.
5.1 Surround sound system installation (all wires conceal ( Custom work)) -- 237.00
Wall mount flat panel TV Installation (all wires concealed) -- $249.00
Power Outlet -- 75.00
Universal remote control programming -- 99.00
Pro Series 8" 150-Watt 3-Way In-Wall Speaker (Front pair) -- 169.00
Pro Series Dual 5.25" 120-Watt Video-Shielded 2- Way LCR In-Wall Mounted Speaker -99.00
Pro Series 8" 120-Watt 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker (Rear pair) -- 169.00
8" 150-Watt Compact Powered Subwoofer - Black Gloss Finish -299.00
Drywall repair (Patch, sand & primer wall) --229.00
Thanks in advance.

I would get at least two more quotes. I have no idea what the Pro Series brand and quality is. For sure, I would skip the subwoofer and get something else.

Do you have any DIY skills? With a friend it is pretty easy to mount an HDTV. If you DIY skills or are willing to learn, I would just have someone run the cables in the wall and then you can mount the TV, install the speakers, etc. Most of this is pretty straightforward and easy to do once it is wired.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would get different speakers for sure. For $299 you can get the Klipsch RW12 sub from newegg & it would easily outperform that sub. As far as in wall speaker there are a few low cost brands that I would look at 1st (Infinity, Polk or even monoprice)
post #4 of 6 Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 10
dude...drill two holes in the wall, get two plastic grommet-looking outlets from the local wardware store for 37 cents each and a fish tape from same said store. You'll figure it out! $250 is re...damn...diculous. I suck at this stuff and it took me 45 minutes to the TV on the wall. Mine is a 46". Ask a buddy to help you lift it up and position it. Get a 12 pack and be generous smile.gif

Same goes for 5.1 wiring. Use this forum. There are alot of helpful people. take a picture of what you want to do. and ask. You will find the fastest easiest way to do things AND you will find the Expert way to do things, then you get to choose the level of work vs. instant gratification that you are happy with.

You will pay less in the end; plus, you will have the tools and confidence to do it again in another room or future home smile.gif Good luck and take pictures.

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #5 of 6 Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Do you have any DIY skills? With a friend it is pretty easy to mount an HDTV. If you DIY skills or are willing to learn, I would just have someone run the cables in the wall and then you can mount the TV, install the speakers, etc. Most of this is pretty straightforward and easy to do once it is wired.

THIS. About as basic as it gets smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I just mounted my 60" ST50 on the wall 2 weekends ago and it took me about 2 hours to get it all done. This included cutting 4 holes in the wall for 4 wall plates (only 2 were to run the wires from behind the TV to the receiver). Granted you need a few tools to do all of this, but $250 for it seems pretty ridiculous after doing it myself. But then again, I like to do things myself and learn as I go along.

FWIW this is my first home of 2 months, and I had done NOTHING of this nature prior to this. And this was after I ran Cat5e and coax to 5 rooms of my house through the wall, again, all myself having 0 prior experience.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page