Best for dedicated media room (with no light) - projector or really big TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm not sure I need 100"+ sized viewing, so I'm a bit torn on this. Is a TV too bright for a dedicated media room with total light control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38

What are the room dimensions and your seating distance?

I have a wall mounted 50" plasma and a 120" motorized screen in the same bat-cave both work equally well

the TV looks better with a couple small lamps on in the room, the PJ looks AMAZING for HD movies with all lights off.

10'-6" distance from my head to screen (tons of pic's in the link in my sig comparing both)

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

The dimensions of the room are 18' long and 12' wide. I'm guessing viewing will be from 10-14 feet away on average.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The two are different animals and each addresses different needs. I have both in my house, as do many here.

The flatscreen works best in moderate light situations where activity is going on during the viewing. Family members can read, do homework or even crafts during the show. This is the correct solution if you are looking for an enhanced TV experience, or in many cases for casual sports viewing. The sports guy can also put up multiple displays and watch a couple of games at the same time.

The front projector, OTOH creates a "theater". You sit down, turn off the lights, shut up and watch the movie. Many owners pride themselves in building a better theater experience than they get at the local multiplex. The downside is that you watch what is on. You don't knit, read, browse because it disturbs the rest of the group and usually requires a light level that hurts contrast. In addition, sound is an important part of the 'real theater' experience and is usually run at a level that discourages casual conversation.

My thought is that if you have to ask, the right answer is likely the flat screen.
jautor likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I agree with going with your gut. No, a TV is not going to be too bright for a room. You can always adjust some things in the settings anyway if this is an issue. It is really more about the feel that you're going for. If you want a true cinematic feel, then a larger screen is the only way to go, unless you're willing to plop down an enormous amount of cash for one of those 90 inch televisions. Most people that are on the fence usually start with a flat screen and surround setup and then make the leap into a projection system if they become truly hooked.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

My biggest concern here is that of viewing fatigue that comes from watching (any) screen with zero light other than the screen.

Any recommendations on the best way to provide indirect lighting in a media room to combat this? I'm leaning towards these "eyeball lights" that mount on the ceiling but I know so little about this topic I could be easily persuaded that other types are better.

post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post

My biggest concern here is that of viewing fatigue that comes from watching (any) screen with zero light other than the screen.

First, a big +1 on jayn_j's post - that is the best summary I've read here on the distinction between these two use cases...

Real theaters are "dark" because the technology required it, and the lack of light forces the social behavior of the group (well, it *should*).

I don't watch my PJ in complete darkness (quite dim, though), but you won't get fatigue from a PJ image because there's not "too much" light coming off the screen. Put a big flat-panel on high brightness and you're really spraying a lot of light into the room. You don't need to dim the lights at all for a flat screen except to provide the social cues (and avoid reflections if that's a problem).
Quote:
Any recommendations on the best way to provide indirect lighting in a media room to combat this? I'm leaning towards these "eyeball lights" that mount on the ceiling but I know so little about this topic I could be easily persuaded that other types are better

Anything that doesn't throw light directly on the projection screen will work. Downlights work fine, eyeballs may be helpful in some areas, but aren't required. Avoid placing anything not on it's own (separate) dimmer control anywhere near the screen.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page