Where should I put my new gear or The Wife is not pleased. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I am at a loss on what to do. I have just set up my new receiver, speakers and sub to go with our new 55" Panny and it sounds great but there is no room for the center channel with out mounting a shelf above and behind it on the wall that will block a bit of window which the wife is very against but said if there was no other way that it would be OK but she hates it. I have a budget theater in the basement, 100" screen, HD66 projector and Sony HTIB. All very budget equipment but I enjoy it but rarely use it because our kids are still too small to sit down there for long. Well the Sony HTIB died on me so the original plan was to move the "nicer" Onkyo HTIB from the living room to the basement theater and keep the new Denon and Polks up with the plasma where we are always at (plus we listen to a ton of music, it is pretty much always on). But I was thinking it would be a better theater experience with the better audio in the basement and then we would not have to worry about mounting the center channel. My issue is we rarely use the theater as is and the stuff would just sit down there unused 99% of the time. I am also a little worried about temp and moisture in the basement. It isn't heated so can get down to around 50 F if I don't have the room heater on and it can get a little humid nothing bad but more so than the living room.

Any thoughts on my dilemma? I have been trying to work this out for days and I am at wits end and I am about to say the heck with it all and put the center behind the TV frown.gif

Oh the Onkyo HTIB does not do TrueHD or DTS-HD but both new and old systems are 7.1 if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37

Without pictures showing your equipment/room its hard to give an accurate opinion,

...but have you considered a new stand for your TV that will allow a center channel speaker below your panel instead of on top of it?

Can you move your furniture around so the TV is in front of a wall instead of a window?

...another option is remove the center channel speaker and run it in phantom mode ?

If your AVR supports that option, the center dialogue is split between the two front L/R speakers.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #3 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Without pictures showing your equipment/room its hard to give an accurate opinion,
...but have you considered a new stand for your TV that will allow a center channel speaker below your panel instead of on top of it?

Can you move your furniture around so the TV is in front of a wall instead of a window?

...another option is remove the center channel speaker and run it in phantom mode ?
If your AVR supports that option, the center dialogue is split between the two front L/R speakers.

Maybe I will give the phantom set up a try and just try and find a use for the center elsewhere.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How much room do you have on the sides of the TV? If your L&R are down low and spread a part, you could possible install dual in-wall speakers on each side of the TV producing a pretty good center sound field. Do not put the center behind the TV, that would sound terrible.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

She actually gave in and let me put up a self for the speaker above and behind the TV I made sure that the shelf itself was not visible and while she is not thrilled with it she says it is OK. Thanks for the advice everyone, you rock!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page