Flat speaker wire recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to run my front speakers wires about 50-ft from where my display is and along the baseboards of my living room to my equipment.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model of speaker wire for this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'd run it in the wall and attic/basement/crawlspace, or behind the baseboards. Looks much better.

Wall to wall carpet? If yes, there is usually enough space between the carpet and baseboard.

Pics might help.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM

If you have carpeting, you can usually squeeze 16 or 14 GA in-wall speaker wire under the baseboard. Just use a plastic putty knife and work slowly. Another option is to remove the baseboard and put the wire in the space under the drywall and then reinstall the baseboard. If you don't like either of those options, you can use wiremold on top of the baseboard.

I have seen super-thin speaker wire that goes on like tape and then you can skim-coat with drywall mud and paint over. I've never used it so I can't speak to how difficult or easy it is to install.

Andy
post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If you're going to paint over flat speaker cable, might as well do it right and pull off the baseboard, channel the drywall and/or drill studs, run the cable, and replace the baseboard. Probably easier than mudding and painting. Might not even need to paint.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I agree with pulling off the baseboard and running behind it. It's not as difficult as it sounds. Another option with flat speaker wire would be to fish it under the carpet.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

I ripped the carpet out and took the following pics of what my baseboard, and the current area between the strips of wood and wall looks like. I will need to run speaker wire as well as a slim profile HDMI cable I just ordered from Monoprice. Is what I'm trying to do a bad idea?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page