In need of reassurance/suggestions/advice on layout - w. pics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This room is completely unoccupied at the moment and my wife and I plan on making this our dedicated TV/HT room.

While the layout may seem straight forward I'm left feeling we're not utilizing the space to its fullest potential.

The challenge is the room has a wood burning stove which can make it quiet warm in there, but I plan to remedy this with passive ceiling ventilation, which I've seen work in other homes.

The wood stove is somewhat of a physical and really more of a psychological barrier for me to work around when planning this setup.

Acoustically the room is horrible, yet screams TV room (see pics). Nothing but hard surfaces. I'm strongly considering carpet installation down there. The room is very "cold" and doesn't seem nearly as inviting as our friends home who have the same layout with a slightly padded Berber carpet instead.

The Setup: 55" Toshiba LCD, Denon Receiver, Polk Monitor 70's, CS2, with Monitor 40 rears.

Suggested Layouts:

-The most common and obvious layout would be seating at the 4,5,6 with TV Mounted at the 2.

Drawback: Poor utilization of space. I prefer to try and get the most function out of the room as I can. While it is the dedicated TV room, with different layout we could split the rooms functions, 1/2 HT, 1/2 exercise/pool table, etc. The other drawback would be the light projected from the stove will compromise the PQ to an extent. Think of a dark room with a fire going, flashing and pulsating light. Lastly, a 55" TV 15ft away from you quickly shrinks, but I've seen similar setups and they're not too bad.

-The next layout out would be TV and Audio at the 1 or 4 positions with seating at the 2,3 or 5,6 positions. This will effectively split the room in 2 allowing us to utilize the other side for anything we want. There are however some challenges and drawbacks to this setup. TV would be protected from the light pollution from the stove.

Drawback: The major concern being the setup may be too close to the heat of the stove (specifically 1 of the tower speakers). Another issue is that one of the speakers will essentially be against the wall and firing parallel to it which may create sound issues. Stove light may effective viewing.

Its looking like the "common" setup will be what I go with just out of safety, style, ease. My main idea here was to garner suggestions and thoughts about the whole thing, perhaps someone with experience in a similar setup.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks for looking!

Here are the pics:

Rough top-down blueprint:
rec%2520room.jpg

Pic from Postion 5 (ignore the junk):
2010-11-16_07-47-18_123.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'll throw my 2 cents at this. First, I agree with you on putting in some carpet. If you wanted to break up the space a little though, you could split the flooring so that the laminate would flow from the back wall to the back edge of the concrete pad, and then pick up the carpet from there forward. I think a couch that sat inline with the stove and faced the television spot would act as a divider and allow you to have an exercise area (which is now already wood floored) behind it.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Why not remove the wood stove altogether - you already have heat in the room with the baseboard noted at 5. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could also switch out the wood stove with a recessed fireplace or even relocate the fireplace to another location.

I only sit 12' from a 50" plasma and can tell you I wish it was bigger. You might want to also consider a projector and retractable screen in front of the TV for movie night
post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Why not remove the wood stove altogether - you already have heat in the room with the baseboard noted at 5. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could also switch out the wood stove with a recessed fireplace or even relocate the fireplace to another location.
I only sit 12' from a 50" plasma and can tell you I wish it was bigger. You might want to also consider a projector and retractable screen in front of the TV for movie night

Ditto That!

I sit 10' from a 50" Kuro, but for movie time I drop my motorized 120" screen and fire up the projector.

Check out the comparison pic's in my build thread (link in my sig)

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

I'll throw my 2 cents at this. First, I agree with you on putting in some carpet. If you wanted to break up the space a little though, you could split the flooring so that the laminate would flow from the back wall to the back edge of the concrete pad, and then pick up the carpet from there forward. I think a couch that sat inline with the stove and faced the television spot would act as a divider and allow you to have an exercise area (which is now already wood floored) behind it.

The wife and I had discussed this, and this was one of our first plan, but this is before we realized the true potential of our new wood burning stove. It gets incredibly hot, and proximity is a huge issue, I would say a minimum of a 4ft radius is needed otherwise you feel like you're sitting on the beach near the equator. This would be ideal had it not been for the stove, it REALLY jacks the room's potential up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

The stove is an integral part of our heating in winter. Its both economical and aesthetically pleasing. We have oil based heat and I try to use that as little as possible. Relocation or change of this setup is unfortunately out of the equation. A projector is certainly an idea I've kicked around but its rather redundant and we're on a tight budget. Another issue is the heat at the top of the ceiling could prematurely kill the projector. I'll have to refer to industry standard operating temps to be sure though.

I appreciate the ideas and suggestions and would like to see a few more!

Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Figured I'd update this ancient thread as I'm finally moving on the project!

- Windows have cloth thermal curtains
- Position 5 has a leather reclining couch, 5'x7' throw rug in front of it.
- Position 6 has a leather reclining love seat
- Position 2 has a Sonax Fiji 60-Inch TV Component Bench (decided not to mount in cut out due to having floor speakers. That, and the cut out is actually slightly off center, (closer to left side).

Everything looks great so far and I'm moving all my equipment (listed above) this weekend.

There is still a pesky high freqency echo in the room that I'm determined to get ride of. I found a great deal on insulation filled 12"x12"x2" burlap panels that I'm going to invest in but I'm not exactly sure where to place them. I'd like to have 4 each, in diamond pattern at the 1/3/4/6 walls but I'd like to put something up on the back to block the cut out I'm not using.

Acoustic rugs/mats dont really do it for me and are very industrial looking. About the only idea I can come up with is to build out my own floor to ceiling "panel" that would cover the cut out and widen it a bit.

I'd like to hear any suggestions on tile placement and more importantly solutions to cover/conceal/block the cut out that would double as deadening.

Thanks.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page