Upgrading Dedicated Mini-Theater Room, Need Advice, $1500 Budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I'm upgrading my little ol' theater system, and I plan on buying everything next weekend with it being Black Friday/Cyber Monday and all. Need advice on a Receiver, Speakers, and Projector. Here is a little representation of my room I whipped up:

Room is extremely small, the general area minus the stairs is approximately 8 1/2 FT x 12 FT. I'll be building a frame approximately 1FT off of the wall to act as as a false wall, 6 inches all around, to hang an acoustically transparent screen off of (as noted opposite the chair in the diagram, screen will sit about 8 feet from the chair). Already have the screen picked out, a 100" Elitescreens Fixed EzFrame Acoustic Pro, which doesn't need to be factored into the budget. Projector will be hung above the stairs projected over the seat towards the screen, ceiling is curved down by the screen so the screen will sit closer to the ground, the projector will need to have lens shift to compensate for this (Note: Chair won't be in the way as it sits very close to the ground).

In terms of what I've been looking at, for projectors, the Epson 8350, if they do a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal anywhere for around $800 like last year, or an Refurbished Epson 8500UB that I can currently nab for $1100. Also for receivers I was looking at a refurbished Denon AVS-1712 going for about $280. I'm not sure what I would pick in terms of speakers because with that receiver and the 8500UB I'd be down to only $100 left. So I'm coming to you guys with a STRICT $1500 budget, I MAY be able to stretch to $1600 if completely necessary. This is all because I am still a College Student living with my parents (They were kind enough to give me most of the upstairs and let me have my own dedicated theater room), and I'm only putting this money in due to my passion for Cinema and Entertainment.

Key questions I have are:
Where should I focus my money being spent?
What Speaker Systems, Receivers, and Projectors do you recommend that in combination would fit my budget?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Also for reference, I currently have a 4 year old 40" Sony Bravia HDTV, and a 3 year old Sony HTS-370 HTIB. Quite excited to finally upgrade!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Well, just to give a different perspective on this - I'd suggest a different route. Assuming you'll graduate in a year or two and will move out of the house...

Your first "place" on your own will likely be a difficult setup for a projector and screen, so I'd suggest going down a path of getting a system that you'll most certainly be able to use in that environment - which would be a larger flat panel. A 55-60" screen would be a good solution in your budget, and can easily serve as your primary display in an apartment or small house. Eventually, that display can get used as a really nice secondary display in a bedroom.

Your current 40" display would be good to hang on for that "first place" too, or you could consider selling it to help with the budget for new gear.

As for audio - build for the future - receivers are cheap and all sound good - put your money into good speakers to last.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Unless you do in-wall speakers, 6 inches isn't nearly deep enough to do an AT screen. Assuming you're talking about bookshelf or tower speakers, you'll need to be closer to 2 feet for your false wall.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

The frame is going to be six inches deep to hang the screen, and the actual cavity will be be 1 foot, and I was planning on getting sats, due to the size of the room and that bookshelf would be overkill. Also since when I move ill likely be getting an apartment then bookshelf may still be overkill? Plus I plan on getting budget speakers anyways at the moment and will upgrade again later.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Well, just to give a different perspective on this - I'd suggest a different route. Assuming you'll graduate in a year or two and will move out of the house...
Your first "place" on your own will likely be a difficult setup for a projector and screen, so I'd suggest going down a path of getting a system that you'll most certainly be able to use in that environment - which would be a larger flat panel. A 55-60" screen would be a good solution in your budget, and can easily serve as your primary display in an apartment or small house. Eventually, that display can get used as a really nice secondary display in a bedroom.
Your current 40" display would be good to hang on for that "first place" too, or you could consider selling it to help with the budget for new gear.
As for audio - build for the future - receivers are cheap and all sound good - put your money into good speakers to last.
Jeff

I was considering that, but at the same time I'm a huge movie buff and I'd love a projector. When I eventually get an apartment I'd be willing to do what is necessary to have a decent projection setup as median would definitely be a priority for my place!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page