Need help! NO SOUND!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I just moved into a new house and purchased some new items for my theater setup. I wanted to reuse some old ones as well. Here's what I have:

Samsung 60" LED
Samsung 3D BD player
Marantz SR8200
Cisco DVR from Verizon FiOS

I hooked everything up and I can't get any sound through the Marantz. The BD player, TV and cable box are all hooked up with HDMI cables with the BD player acting as the "switcher." I then have an optical digital cable going from the BD player to the Marantz. When I play with the outgoing audio settings on the BD player I can see the Marantz making changes as well but no sound. The cable is seated OK at both ends and I've played with the audio settings on the BD player for hours.

Any suggestions besides get a new receiver???? I love my Marantz and it's just not in the budget right now to buy a comparable new model.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Easy checks first:

1. Check to see if the mute button is on
2. Check the speaker select - you may be on speaker B instead of A
3. Never used a Marantz, but in my Onkyos I had to assign the coax or optical audio inputs to the source select such as DVD or Cable through the AVR set-up function
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

The mute button is definitely not on. I didn't think to check the A/B speaker button. I know I pressed the power button accidentally a few times while plugging in all the cables so maybe I hit that too. I'll have to check. This receiver also can re-assign the digital inputs, but I checked and the input is assigned correctly.

I'll try the A/B speaker button idea and if that doesn't work then I'll post again.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
How does the DB player act as a "switcher?" Can you tell us exactly how everything is connected?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Tlogan the BD player is acting as my HDMI switch. It has HDMI inputs so I'm able to pass along other source signals through the BD player. The DVR box is connected to the BD player via HDMI and the TV is connected to the BD player via HDMI as well. The receiver is then connected to the BD player via optical digital.

I did actually figure out the problem. Apparently the BD player will not send out audio via optical digital from HDMI pass through. So, the audio from the other sources connected to the BD player (in my case my DVR) will not be passed along via the OD output. Solving the problem was relatively simple once I recognized it. I took a second optical digital cable and connected it between the DVR and the receiver.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page