Getting power to TV mounted on exposed brick wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only wall in my living room where a TV can be mounted is made entirely of exposed brick. There is no power on this wall but outlets have been installed on the floor near the wall. I can mount the TV to the brick with no problem but I'm having a difficult time getting my head around how to cleanly run the wires.

Things I've considered so far.
  1. Run power in metal conduit along the wall and install an outlet just below/beside the TV. The outlet and the power cable would be exposed. The outlet may extend into the room more than my TV and mount.
  2. Remove brick, run shielded romex into an outlet, replace brick. Frankly, this seems like a lot of work and I'm concerned about how the patch would look. The brickwall is over 100 years old and I don't want to damage it more than I have to.
  3. Frame in a shallow wall just deep enough to install power and just wide enough for the TV. I had wanted to keep the TV as flat to the wall as possible. This seems like a lot of work to end up with a TV protruding into the room.
  4. Run power in metal conduit along the wall and install an outlet above the baseboard. Put the TV power cable into some type of cable raceway and run to that outlet. I don't think I'm supposed to do that but I think it would probably be ok.

What am I missing? I know I could always rest the TV on a console or other piece of furniture but it's a small room and I'd like to to keep as much floorspace available as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Another option would be a pole mount, either with a stand/console that has a pole (or similar) mount integrated, or just a pole running floor-to-ceiling very near the wall...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Another option would be a pole mount, either with a stand/console that has a pole (or similar) mount integrated, or just a pole running floor-to-ceiling very near the wall...

+1
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms