Help with Basement Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am setting up a home theater in my basement. It was previously finished as a general area and I'm looking to set it up. The wall my TV will be on is open so i have run cat5e and rg6. I am also looking to run wiring for the rear channel speaker. My problem is positioning and type of spears for rear channel. I am going to wire 3 rear's for a 6.1 setup. Two of the walls are finished and insulated so I can't install speakers/wire in those. The other wall has a staircase which prevents me from wiring there. I want the wiring not exposed. So I am left with the ceiling. I have access to the ceiling joists so running the wire will be easy. My question is what to use. I know ideally the rear channels should be about ear level when standing. And obviously putting the speakers in the ceiling won't allow for that. Are there any in ceiling speakers that are good for home theater? Or is there a speaker mount that works similar to the wall ones. I appreciate the help. I will have wall jacks behind the TV stand for the speakers. The space is about 11.5" x 11.5" with a 7.5" tall ceiling. I want something that is good but no overwhelmingly expensive. This is my first house. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by schi0249 View Post

I am setting up a home theater in my basement. It was previously finished as a general area and I'm looking to set it up. The wall my TV will be on is open so i have run cat5e and rg6. I am also looking to run wiring for the rear channel speaker. My problem is positioning and type of spears for rear channel. I am going to wire 3 rear's for a 6.1 setup. Two of the walls are finished and insulated so I can't install speakers/wire in those. The other wall has a staircase which prevents me from wiring there. I want the wiring not exposed. So I am left with the ceiling. I have access to the ceiling joists so running the wire will be easy. My question is what to use. I know ideally the rear channels should be about ear level when standing. And obviously putting the speakers in the ceiling won't allow for that. Are there any in ceiling speakers that are good for home theater? Or is there a speaker mount that works similar to the wall ones. I appreciate the help. I will have wall jacks behind the TV stand for the speakers. The space is about 11.5" x 11.5" with a 7.5" tall ceiling. I want something that is good but no overwhelmingly expensive. This is my first house. Thanks.

Check out the in-ceilings that allow you to rotate the tweeter. I had to go the in-ceiling route for my theater when installing side surround (my rears are wall mounted). I'm using Klipsch CDT5800 in-ceilings and love them. Not sure what your budget it, but you do have options.

Also, if you want to put some extra work in, you can still run wires down the side walls. One trick that will allow you to avoid having to go through the top plate would be to exit the ceiling a few inches off of the side wide and then loop the wire into the side wall about 3 inches down from the ceiling. This can later be covered with crown and you'll never be able to tell you did it this way.