converting room to Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a gameroom that we are going to convert to a Home Theater room. The room is well suited, in general, in that it is fairly dark and long (30' x 15'). I am anticipating a ceiling mount projector, screen, two rows of theater chairs/recliners, etc. The second row will be on a riser - probably 12-14".

1. I am contemplating a screen as large as 150" and the first row of seats 11' away (unreclined head position). Sound OK?

2. To preserve space at the back of the room for mingling, games, etc. I would love for the theater section to require only the needed amount of space - I do suffer the further back I bring the seats. Nevertheless I want the theater to be done right. Is there a sequence that makes sense such as (1) install screen and projector, (2) play with positioning of chairs to see what distances seem desirable, (3) install riser and finish room.? What is a good order to do things in?

3. While I dont need to "sound-proof" the room, I may want to apply some sound treatments. I assume I can do that later in the project.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevansforum View Post

1. I am contemplating a screen as large as 150" and the first row of seats 11' away (unreclined head position). Sound OK?

Sounds way too big for an 11' seating distance (assuming you're talking 16:9, although that would be a big 2.35 screen, too, at that distance). I have a 108" (16x9) screen with the first row at 10' - I wouldn't recommend going any bigger than that - and if that was my primary seating row, it probably would have been smaller...
Quote:
2. To preserve space at the back of the room for mingling, games, etc. I would love for the theater section to require only the needed amount of space - I do suffer the further back I bring the seats. Nevertheless I want the theater to be done right. Is there a sequence that makes sense such as (1) install screen and projector, (2) play with positioning of chairs to see what distances seem desirable, (3) install riser and finish room.? What is a good order to do things in?

Figure out your seating, your screen size should be based on those distances. Use the screen size calculator to get an idea. You can finish the room, hang the projector, and test the screen size if you want before you commit to one. But you should be able to get reasonably close beforehand - that testing is just for fine tuning perhaps between a couple of size choices. At that stage there's some personal preference, too...
Quote:
3. While I dont need to "sound-proof" the room, I may want to apply some sound treatments. I assume I can do that later in the project.

Yes, acoustics are part of the room finish (inside the drywall), but how you want to apply your acoustic treatments may affect your finish work (outlet placement, areas for bass traps, etc.).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a similar size room, 12 x 30, but mine is my living room/dinning area.......when I move my couches to turn it into a theatre they are at 14 feet and 18 feet roughly....plenty of room behind for mingling, games etc......I have my 60inch round dinning table with 8 chairs behind.....plus two bar stools behind the couch.....and I too have a 150" screen.....
post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a room that size, multi purpose as well. 150" sounds a bit large for that viewing distance. I sit 12.5' frorm a 108" screen which seems about right. I could have gone a little bigger but my front speakers are very large so I needed to save a little space. Front speaker size, placement is something to consider when planning the build. I know some people who planned the audio side of the build as an afterthought, big mistake. I have a 7 channel system with 4 subs and took that into consideration from the beginning

post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are we talking 1.78 or 2.35? I sit about 10-11 feet back from my 136" 2.35.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Liked: 36
really start building in the acoustics treatments with the build.. decouple the walls ceiling from the house structure.. build in massive base traps in the front and back walls..

build in some difusor curves in the build on the side walls and ceiling if you can.. for great audio..
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevansforum View Post

I

If you don't mind turning your head side to side to see everything on the screen.

David
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page