Mounting speaker to exposed steam pipe? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is going to sound stupid but hear me out.

There is an exposed steam pipe in my apartment that is used to supply steam to the building's radiators. It is not insulated and gets pretty hot when the heat is on. It's about 3-3.5" in diameter

I am thinking that I could buy a regular speaker mount and secure it to the pipe with hose clamps, then mount my ~14lb surround to it.

Obviously I will not be drilling any holes in anything, the hose clamps will go around the plate of the speaker mount to hold it up.

notcrazy.PNG 5k .PNG file

I have two concerns:
1. would this put too much strain on the pipe?
2. would the heat transfer through the mount into the speaker?

I suppose I could mitigate #2 by putting a layer of insulation between the mount and the pipe.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: png notcrazy.PNG (4.9 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj325is View Post

This is going to sound stupid but hear me out.
There is an exposed steam pipe in my apartment that is used to supply steam to the building's radiators. It is not insulated and gets pretty hot when the heat is on. It's about 3-3.5" in diameter
I am thinking that I could buy a regular speaker mount and secure it to the pipe with hose clamps, then mount my ~14lb surround to it.
Obviously I will not be drilling any holes in anything, the hose clamps will go around the plate of the speaker mount to hold it up.
notcrazy.PNG 5k .PNG file
I have two concerns:
1. would this put too much strain on the pipe?
2. would the heat transfer through the mount into the speaker?
I suppose I could mitigate #2 by putting a layer of insulation between the mount and the pipe.
Thoughts?

If the mount is metal, then it's most likely going to conduct the heat over to the speaker. Also, if you're worried about weight, then I'd also run some kind of support from the top of the speaker up to a joist or something in the ceiling. This will help minimize the load that the pipe is carrying. To answer your other question, some pipe insulation should help reduce the heat transfer.

Not the ideal situation, but it sounds doable.

P.S. We're ALL a little crazy...

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The other thing that it will likely do is conduct sound... from the speaker into the other apartments that the pipe goes through. You might get some complaints from your up- and downstairs neighbors.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hadn't though about sound going into the pipe. I will definitely use a layer of foam between the pipe and the mount/clamps to try to minimize that.

It is a surround speaker, though, so it doesn't carry that much content. Also I don't much care for my neighbors, in any direction..
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page