New media room planning... and sound proofing questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm moving into a new house in a few months and am getting a head start on planning my media room. I've attached the floor plans below and a crude CAD drawing of a first plan on how to lay it out. BTW the hose is being built mirroed of the builders drawing so the bonus room is flipped. Hopefully it's fairly obvious there's a couch and chair in the middle, a pedestal table with bar stools at the back, and surround speakers. In the back corner I'm planning a small wet bar. There is a bathroom nearby so I'm hoping I can get to the plumbing easily enough. I currently have a 58" plasma, at this point I don't have any plans to go projector but it might happen in the future.

It will be used 90% of the time for just me. My wife and my 8 y.o. daughter go to bed around 9ish so after that is music/movie time for me. Primarily I listen to music but I like my movies too. I don't crank it (but still like it a little loud) and I generally don't turn on my subs as my mains were fairly bass capable. Unfortunately I don't have a number to put on the SPL but I have a 65W/ch. HK receiver which doesn't get pushed too hard.

My goal for soundproofing is to not get yelled at to turn it down late at night. As you can see by the floor plans the master bedroom is a good ways away but my daughter will be in bedroom #5 so fairly close but she's not really a light sleeper. Eventhough this is a new build I have to take it 'as-is' as the build won't bend on anything. The wall on the side of the stairs is only a half wall and there is a space for access to the room. I will be framing the wall to the ceiling and adding a proper door. I'll also have to tear down the new drywall to do the soundproofing. I've read a lot on this board and probably most of the articles at Soundproofing Company. I think I'm pretty convinced to go with whisper clips and channel plus 2x 5/8" drywall with green glue. I've seen what I need and so far an am OK with the cost. One thing I don't know especially since I've seen some mixed responses on the subject is if I need to do anything with the two exterior walls and also the ceiling since it goes into the attic. I also don't know what to do with the floor. I'm not really concerned with what goes into the level below but I read the 'Flanking' article and sound could runn across the joists to the neighboring bedroom. I'm concerned about the height though as I don't want to make a tripping hazard for anyone coming through the door. I'm also wondering what I should be paying attention to as my house is built so I can further refine my plan.

Sorry this post is rather 'broad' but I wasn't sure if it would be better to start 3 or 4 threads that contained 80% of the same info, so I combined it into 1 to save on clutter.

Thanks for any input!
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ahhhh the challenges of enjoying a good flick and not getting yelled at.... I remember them fondly, or not so fondly:rolleyes:

Ran across your post, check out my build. My focus was similar as yours, sound proof a room, don't break the bank. I also took into consideration that we may move in a few years and perhaps someone did not want a THEATER eek.gif (crazy people) and it all needed to be able to remove it. So , nothing too permanent.

I did nothing to the exterior walls nor the ceiling/ attic. Last summer I blew in another layer of insulation up there. R value of about 40'ish.
But nothing to the inside. When I get up and running I will give a THROUGH sound/noise check. If I can still hear sound, I'll be able to find where/why and give you a heads up.
If anything, I may need to address some reflection issues, but I will reuse some acoustic panels I made a couple years ago. Use them to figure out where I need control, then replace them with some nicer ones with track from Fabricmate.

-The "decoupling" portion, I tore down 1 side (interior to Home Theater) of drywall that is on a 2"x4" plate.
(Hence me choosing the ROUXL for its density in a 4" gap. When some of the "bigger builds" are able to do these, they are USUALLY framing a NEW wall, and they do them on a 2"x6" or 2"x8" plate. Hence they have the flexibility to use the "Fluffy Pink" stuff.

-I framed up new 2"x4" studs on the IB clips, one on the top, two at the bottom for strength and stability.
PROBLEM is, I had to work with the layout of the wall. Plumbing, electricity, etc were in the way of laying the studs out the way YOU want it. I had to make considerations, and instead of being a nice, neat 24" layout, I had to cut drywall sheets and do a bit of extra work.

- GreenGlue/QuietGlue Pro in between 1/2" (not 5/8", had to make considerations...).
IF you can find a supplier that has the 1/2 HEAVY, not the lightweight kind, I would use that for sure. I was under a time crunch to get it done before scheduled flooring install. No time to search around town for it. And on top of that, I knew that I was putting my fabricmate track system on an plywood panel and then hung on the wall, it would act as another "layer". Look for the HEAVY stuff if you can.

One saving grace you and I have in common, is a bathroom between the Theater and the bedroom. One downside is you have a lot of plumbing along that same common wall that you will have to work around.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ryan,

You might post this in the dedicated theater forum, as construction questions fly through there all the time and more likely to get a lot more eyeballs on this.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page