Happy Thankgiving!! What am I missing with this (??) connector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I run cables in the walls of my finished basement for speakers, and also a CAT6 for a subwoofer. I bought an OSD WP16 wall plate for my speakers. It has two RCA connectors for sub and on the back it has what looked like to me as a RG6 connector. Didn't examine it too much.
When I tried to connect my RG6 connector to the plate it would not go in. Further investigation revealed that it's not a RG6. It is similar to RG6, but the screw is smaller (male) than RG6.

What in the world is it and how do I connect it to my RG6? I tried to look for a good picture of this connection but couldn't find anything. I may have to take a close up picture of what I have. There is a picture here but it is not in an angle so it's kind'a hard to see these connections. The front is RCA and it's fine, but the back is driving me crazy.

Thanks for your help and Happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Have you tried multiple F-connectors? Did you add the F-connector to the cable?

Does your coax cable have a BNC connector, perhaps?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Have you tried multiple F-connectors? Did you add the F-connector to the cable?
Does your coax cable have a BNC connector, perhaps?

Thanks Neurorad.
I didn't try anything yet, I don't even know where to start, I don't know what kind of connection this is. Here is a pic of it that I just took. I have two to connect two subs. The front is fine, it's a straight forward RCA plug.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Yep, it's a coax F-connector. The spec sheet even says that (RCA to F-connector)... The center support is for the coax conductor to slide into. With the depth of that assembly, it may require you to re-make the coax connection with enough insulation removed to get it to fit. Although it may be intended to seat under the insulation, too.

Can't say I've seen one made like that, but that's what it is... You might try pushing a bare coax cable onto the back to see how it's supposed to work, first.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep, it's a coax F-connector. The spec sheet even says that (RCA to F-connector)... The center support is for the coax conductor to slide into. With the depth of that assembly, it may require you to re-make the coax connection with enough insulation removed to get it to fit. Although it may be intended to seat under the insulation, too.
Can't say I've seen one made like that, but that's what it is... You might try pushing a bare coax cable onto the back to see how it's supposed to work, first.
Jeff

Is F connector the same as RG6?
I know the spec sheet says that, but I took a bare RG6 connector it won't even screw in, it is larger than this screw, so it doesn't make sense.
Also, the center support is blocked, the coax conductor won't even go in all the way through. I thought about cutting the coax conductor, but before doing this I tried with a bare connector as mentioned above and it won't screw.
Something doesn't make sense.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 16
You sure that's a connector? It just looks a lot like a solder tab...

post #7 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Could be, so what is the screw for? And it says on the specs RCA to F.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never seen that.

There is supposed to be a hole, where that pin is sticking out.

I'd grab that pin with a pliers, and pull straight back, hopefully exposing a hole.

If you feel like being adventurous, try that, if you can't wait for Monoprice tech support. If you can wait, call TS, and email the support guy that pic.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I've never seen that.
There is supposed to be a hole, where that pin is sticking out.
I'd grab that pin with a pliers, and pull straight back, hopefully exposing a hole.
If you feel like being adventurous, try that, if you can't wait for Monoprice tech support. If you can wait, call TS, and email the support guy that pic.

Few issues with that:

1. This is not from Monoprice wink.gif
2. Even if I pull the pin out, as I said, this screw is smaller than RG6, so I cannot even screw a F (or RG6) connector to it.

It does look like a solder tab as Frosteh said, but I have no clue how to deal with the screw part of it. Looks like my best bet would be to take these two connectors out and replace them with a real RCA to F keystone connector. I am just glad that I am not the only one here who looks at this and scratches his head biggrin.gif

Edit: Another option I am thinking about is a big electronic store near by, Do It Yourself Electronics. I'll probably take it to them on the weekend and see if they can direct me to something.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Call OSD support, and return it if it's not what you ordered.

post #11 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
The connectors in question appear not to be RCA to F bulkhead connectors, but rather RCA to solder cup bulkhead connectors, and they are missing the required tabbed washer to make the second half of the connection.

FWIW there is no such thing as a RG6 connector. RG6 is a generic name for a wide variety of coaxial cable meeting certain basic specifications. It can be terminated with a variety of connectors including F-connectors, BNC connectors, RCA (phono) connectors, and others.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

The connectors in question appear not to be RCA to F bulkhead connectors, but rather RCA to solder cup bulkhead connectors, and they are missing the required tabbed washer to make the second half of the connection.
FWIW there is no such thing as a RG6 connector. RG6 is a generic name for a wide variety of coaxial cable meeting certain basic specifications. It can be terminated with a variety of connectors including F-connectors, BNC connectors, RCA (phono) connectors, and others.

Since I am not familiar with this solder cup bulkhead connector and the missing part, do you know if I can buy it anywhere? Can you point to a link where I can see what's missing?

Thanks.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Those are RCA connectors with solder cups.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If you must use this plate, you can replace those 2 connectors. Loosen the lock nuts behind the plate to remove them. You can buy replacement connectors online or from Radio Shack, or remove the connectors from another plate (Home Depot), and use them.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Look here. The tab perpendicular to the jack is used to connect the shield of the coaxal cable. The solder cup is used to connect the center conductor.

You options are send it back and get the right thing or try to make what you have work. All you need to make it work is two F-type barrel connectors which are widely available, including at Radio Shack. You may have to drill out the mounting holes to fit.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-24-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
SBI

Thank you all. Got two normal RCA to F connectors, perfect fit to this plate. Not sure what OSD had in mind when they put the original useless in.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what OSD had in mind when they put the original useless in.

They're only useless for people who can't solder.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
FWIW there is no such thing as a RG6 connector. RG6

Really? I'm pretty sure there are RG6 and RG59s. Check out this link......

RG6 vs RG59
Quote:
Further investigation revealed that it's not a RG6. It is similar to RG6, but the screw is smaller (male) than RG6.

The RG59s are a bit smaller so maybe the OP should be using RG59s F connectors..

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #19 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

There are no photographs of 'F' connectors in this thread.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28

you have a solder tab connection, missing the ring for the shield connection, just as Colm and SAM64 have suggested.

order a pair of these and remove the connector from the keystone insert, then you will be good to connect your F connector equipped coax, leaving a conventional RCA to connect to your sub

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page