Flexible RG6 cable recommendations for interconnect on DirecTV System? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey gang,

I currently am running some serious QUAD shield RG6 which was wired throughout my house up to the dish. It was also used to connect each of the wallplates to my components. I've noticed some pretty awful strain on these connections due to the stiffness of the cable and I'd like to swap these stiff cables for something a lot more flexible. Any thoughts? I believe DirecTV wants you to use solid core QUAD shielded cables, but my gut tells me that's more for the in-wall and from-dish runs, not necessarily for the connections to the sat box, as well. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have. For reference, I'm running the ancient SD and HD-TIVO units in my house, but I am likely upgrading to the Genie and the new dish prior to the Christmas holidays. Not sure if that matters, but wanted to throw that out there. Thanks!

Regards,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe this thread would be better served over in the HDTV Hardware forums? I didn't want to needlessly crosspost.

Regards,
Jeff
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
You want RG6 from the dish to any multiswitch and to every receiver. If this is an SWM setup everything after the SWM module is carrying much less data, so it won't be as critical. But unless you're having problems with the cables, I wouldn't recommend doing anything.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You want RG6 from the dish to any multiswitch and to every receiver. If this is an SWM setup everything after the SWM module is carrying much less data, so it won't be as critical. But unless you're having problems with the cables, I wouldn't recommend doing anything.
Jeff

+1
post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response. I was looking for FLEXIBLE RG6 options. I'm leaning towards this:
Belden 1694f
http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/1694F.pdf

The current RG6QS that I have is practically Romex-like and is straining the hell out of the SAT boxes. Right now I have all the old school MPEG2 equipment, so 3 RG6 per TIVO unit, including the local HDTV antenna input. I'll be going to the Genie soon, hopefully, but I don't know if SWIM is involved in that or not.

Regards,
Jeff
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
The Genie will require a SWM dish/setup to be able utilize all five of the tuners.

If you're just asking about swapping a patch cable from the wall to the receiver, sure, any RG6 cable will be fine, doesn't need to be QS. Very unlikely it would make any difference. Do note, though, that in your location you're near a whole mess of broadcast towers - shielding in general is your friend! biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
For my runs in house I used RG6 cables that were HDTV complainant, they were not quad shielded and I have not had issue one with the cables. I will tell you though that if you go with a stranded center, and you are terminating your own cables, crimp/compression style connectors will not give you a reliable/solid termination. I found this out when I tried to use compression stye fitting on the stranded cable and was less than pleased as a result. Of course I won't tell on myself that I wasted several connectors until it dawned on me that it was the connector that was the issue. For the stranded cables I used a solder type connector and all was well. The solder type are just a little more time/labor intensive, but still well within the realm of the DIY'er.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Jeff and RTROSE.

Interesting note, RTROSE, as I WAS planning on using compression ends for the purchased bulk cable. I might just want to rethink that after hearing about your experience. Or maybe I just say "screw it" and buy some L-shaped F-connectors for the back of the equipment and use the stiff-as-Romex stuff I have hooked up now. Decisions, decisions. Thanks again.

Jeff
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page