Framing of Future Home Theater Divider Wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all -

I would like to forewarn everyone that I am relatively new to this site and have started to read up on the basics on this forum. I am framing/finishing my basement, and have a dedicated space that will be a future home theater room. My goal is to finish my basement, learn as much as I can from this site, and either build the HT room myself or contract someone out to build the theater (armed with great knowledge from this site). The HT room will have 3 walls that will be behind concrete, however, I have one wall that I must frame now, as it will be a "divider" between the HT room and the rest of the basement.

I pose this question, should I frame this wall any different than the walls in the rest of my basement (i.e. 2X6 base with staggered studs). Also, should I drywall the "finished" side of this wall, (i.e. green glue / double drywall) even if I acoustically treat the "HT side" of the wall? Is there any rules of thumb for door placement as well, as this wall will have a door to enter/exit.

Thank you in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Bueller? Bueller?
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Liked: 12
Might be better asked in the dedicated theater forum since most doing general multipurpose rooms aren't spending a lot of time/money on soundproofing. Soundproofing is typically an all or nothing venture to do it correctly. The partition wall and the door placement may introduce flanking paths for noise to pass through- I am far from an expert in this area. Ted from the Soundproofing company is active in the Dedicated Theater section. They also answer phone calls at that company and can probably give you an answer.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page