Big Basement Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on a committee at our Church and we have no A/V system in place. Our basement is 40' x 60' and we would like to put in a projector and surround sound system with a budget under $2,500 if possible. I was looking at this projector at Costco, http://www.costco.com/Mitsubishi-HC4000-Home-Theater-Projector-Bundle.product.11755444.html, so that would leave around $1,300 for a receiver and speakers. Is that something worth pursuing or should we raise more money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean71570 View Post

I am on a committee at our Church and we have no A/V system in place. Our basement is 40' x 60' and we would like to put in a projector and surround sound system with a budget under $2,500 if possible. I was looking at this projector at Costco, http://www.costco.com/Mitsubishi-HC4000-Home-Theater-Projector-Bundle.product.11755444.html, so that would leave around $1,300 for a receiver and speakers. Is that something worth pursuing or should we raise more money?[/quote)

That is a very large space to fill on that budget. Are you going to use the entire 40x60? Are there going to be several seats? one solution may be pro audio speakers and amplifiers connected to a ht processor. They tend to hit higher spl for the same money but would still be a challenge on that budget.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is the surround sound for "true surround Sound" as used in movies or are you looking to set up multiple left and right speakers for 2 channel sound that would be traditionally used in a hall?

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Basically we want a system where we could sit in folding chairs and watch movies and some sporting events. I don't know that we need True Surround Sound...just want something that we can hear. I am thinking at most we would have 50 people at a time in the hall. It was previously wired for a PA system so we could play bingo and everyone could hear the caller. Wondering if we could just get a new amp and use those speakers?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Greetings,

I would suggest a different PJ, one with higher lumens or brightness, the PJ you link to might not have enough lighting horsepower to do the job. The other thing is if you have up to 50 people in the hall your screen of 106" might not be big enough for all to see easily. If you have a flat basic white wall you don't even need a screen, you can just project an image onto the wall.

If you could borrow a receiver from a church member you could see if the PA speakers still worked, they would not be ideal but would at least get sound out so all could hear what was going on. The other option would be to purchase some of the "DJ" type pole speakers again not ideal but would have enough oomph to fill the space with sound.

Don't forget that you will need a source of some type as well for movies and TV as the PJ does not have any type of an internal tuner.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Bear in mind if you're going to replay media for a group like that you may need to obtain a license to do so: http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotection/public-performance-law
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM

post #8 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Liked: 11
Check out my system that I put in years ago, (in the link below), with a budget of $2,000... You could do a similar one today for much less... So your budget is good. Like the others said, you want a BRIGHT projector.

Make sure you put in a vga cable so you can connect a laptop. (with sound cables as well so you have sound from your pc.)

Good luck.

My under $2,000 130" Home Theater

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page