Home Theater/Living Room build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be my home theater/living room build thread. I was looking at the Sharp 80 inch TV to replace my old reliable 61" panny RPCRT TV. I simply could not get it to play my BluRays, even with an HDFuryIII.

I could not figure out a way to mount that TV in a fashion that would not totally dominate the living room. Also, even at 80" it seemed a little puny for my tastes. After some calculations I found that a 135" screen would be ideal for a 15' viewing distance. I approached my bride with my proposal. A budget of $5K (including tax and everything), the living room would be cleaned of tools and debris daily, and a completion date of 12/3.

An over-riding goal was to have as much equipment hidden as possible.

Thus begins my journey where wise men fear to tread.

The first step was to pick out a projector. I selected the Epson 8350 for it's excellent specs, and low price ($1300). Like Mark Kermode, I am not interested in 3D.

Once the projector arrived I set it up temporarily on a shelf, and projected it against a white drop-cloth for proof of concept.

Moved 1/2 of couch to corner of dining room

Moved other half to proposed viewing position

Test at night (IM-O-TEP)

Upgraded DVR Hard Drive. 8 Terabytes, 7200 RPM, 256MB Cache, 4 spindles

The screen arrives, and the beginning of sorrows. 135" electric remote-controlled Elite Screens Cinegray tab-tensioned. Final price $425 brand new including shipping.

To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think I could watch a 135" screen from 15'. I am sitting at 15' from my 106" screen. At that distance, 185:1 movies completly fill my field of vision. If the screen was any larger I would have to move my head back and forth and up and down to see everything. Watching 185:1 movies at my distances is almost (but not quite) like sitting in the first row at the theater. 235:1 movies seem to be the perfect size.

David
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page