In need of a new shelf for growing Blu-ray collection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I currently am using this revolving media tower to store my Blu-ray/DVD collection:

But I am quickly running out of space, due to my growing Blu library. I am thinking about just going for a large, wall-hugging media shelf. I was looking at this Venture Horizon shelf, which is about 76x76 inches, 9.5 inches deep. Does anyone have any experience with a shelf of that size? Or know of any better brands? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bump

post #3 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Couple of questions:

1. Are you looking to replace the turn style stand with the wall unit?
2. Is this a dedicated room, not a living room?
3. Are you single? My wife and I looked at the full wall units for our living room, but she did not want to feel like she was at a video store while in her living room.

I should note we have a large turn style for our DVDs and CDs as well and it has been moved to our basement out of sight. We are now talking about building a built-in corner unit with doors. But I have long term reservations for a build since DVD/Blu-rays like CDs will become a thing of the past.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. Yes. I was originally thinking of just adding a second rotating media tower, but this seems like it would be too bulky for the space that it's in.

2. No, not really a dedicated theater. It's actually all in my bedroom. I still live at home, see (university student).

3. Yep, single, so no concerns about the appearance, though I don't have any problem with the library look anyway.

The thing is, the large capacity shelves I'm finding online don't seem to have the best reviews. Most users point out cheap parts and subpar structural integrity as the main problems with the units I've been considering. I would like something a bit more sturdy (perhaps all wood), even if it costs a bit more. Two that I've found on Amazon that seem to suit my needs for a growing library are the Venture Horizon Triple shelf I mentioned previously and also this Prepac Triple shelf. But again, the reviews are pretty underwhelming. Any idea where I might be able to find some similarly-sized shelves made of better materials?

post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Is building shelves an option? These could be as simple as two boards in an L (or T) configuration, stained and sealed, countersunk screwed to the wall studs.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would imagine that building the shelves yourself would be cheaper, but I'm not all that handy when it comes to home improvement projects. I suppose I could always hire someone.

And Tedd, those shelves you PM'd me about look awesome. I would love something like that. Very simple and sturdy-looking.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ever think about doing a built in bookshelf??..It saves a ton of space and looks great!!..Here is one of mine, that I built..Its fairly simple to do and you can customize the size of the shelving, for various things.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I looked at your original choices, they look good. I'm afraid at your price point you may be better off making making your own. They may not come out perfect, but you will build valuable experience for the future. You will also be able to use better materials.

I also like the built in option presented by Horrofan - just make sure the wall is an inside wall.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorfan76 View Post

Ever think about doing a built in bookshelf??..It saves a ton of space and looks great!!..Here is one of mine, that I built..Its fairly simple to do and you can customize the size of the shelving, for various things.

I like this idea and it could work great for my own purposes.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Maybe some wall mounted bracketry?

An example from IKEA:

IKEA.JPG 35k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IKEA.JPG (34.6 KB, 19 views)
post #11 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
I am a huge fan of BOLTZ Furniture media shelves. They look great, are all-steel and extremely sturdy, made in USA, and are a modular style that can be expanded infinitely in the future. There are a few versions available... one style sized for CD's only, a style sized for DVD's/Blu-Rays/VHS/etc, and apparently a newer style that is "just right" for BD's as well. Each of those models is available as a short 3 1/2-foot high version, or a tall 5 1/2-foot high version, plus a few different finishes are available. You can purchase them new from the manufacture's website (fairly expensive), but sometimes awesome deals show up on craigslist for used units great condition.

Disclaimer: I am not employed by nor receive any compensation by BOLTZ; I'm just a user and fan.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms