Swapping my Plasma for a projector, a few questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello. So when I built the man cave a while back, I never even considered a projector , and bought a 60" panasonic 3d plasma. Now that I think of it...I want 100" at least! I am thinking of getting a Benq W1070 (not released yet...2000 lumens 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

My questions: 1) the room I have now is quite nice looking (earth tone colors, nice furniture, and decor). Will a projector "kill" the mood for a nice chilling room?

2) Lighting: I have 9 potlights (recessed lighting) in the rectangular 18X14 room. I like to keep the room lighting low-medium, so we can still see each other and have conversations etc..even read. Will the projection be a bad choice? The 3 lights that are closest to the wall with the plasma have a seperate dimmer, so that helps, but I don't like to have these lights turned right off, because the room's lighting looks unbalanced , and takes away from the beauty of the room. Could I use "wall washers" to deflect the light away from the projector? (basically install them the opposite way to deflect light away from screen, rather than lighting the wall) Any other options? (Below is a picture of a wall washer)

3) Final question: is 100" from 12.5 feet going to be too overwhelming? I won't be watching only movies. (I like documentaries, tv shows etc)

thanks in advance for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
1: You can keep your Flat Screen and put a drop down 100" screen in front of it.. No the projector won't hurt your room .. but if they are light earth tones and a white ceiling they will hurt your projectors image.

2. Lights on will wash out your image. Think about this. The screen is white. Dark parts of images that would look black or dark gray on your flat screen are created by the projector not producing light in those dark ares of the image. If you have light on in the room and you can see the white screen, what you see with the projector off will be how dark the darkest part of your image is. No matter how much light the projector puts out.. it does not change how the dark end of the image looks.. Light colored walls, floors and ceilings do the same thing even with all the lights turned off..

3 100 inch diag is 86 inches 12' is 144" so at 12' you are 1.6 times the screen width and should be fine.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page