Relocate to Canada - need advice for HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. Like the title says I´m moving to Canada (Ontario) and I leave all my stuff in Germany so I need some advice regarding new home theatre equipment.

My budget is 10.000$ and I want a very nice 5.1 Set a new TV and maybe a projector.

So here are some thoughts:

- I´m thinking of buying a Panasonic Plasma (65GT50 or 65VT50) and use it for HT and daily watching
or
- a Panasonic 60ST50 for daily use and a projector for HT (maybe Sony HT30 or HT50)

-Regarding the loudspeakers I use them 80% for HT (Bluray) and 20% for Music (nothing special Country/HipHop...)
I prefer Floor-standing-speaker.
It was impossible for me to have a subwoofer because of the neighbours but now I´m looking for a detached house and deep and "brutal" bass would be awesome. Thinking of SVS

-Thinking about getting a AVR with pre-outs and a external power amplifier (Emotiva XPA-5?),
because I plan to keep the sound equipment for a long time.

So what do you think what is the best way to split the budget and do you have any tips and recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Liked: 11
Well $10.00 is not going to get you much more than a spool of speaker wire. Best add to your Christmas list.

In all seriousness wht that budget I would reccomend printing out your post and showing it to the guy behind the counter at your local hifi shop.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppelrator View Post

new home theatre equipment.
...10.000$ ...
That is $10,000 for all you Americans.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM

Liked: 19
Well I can't really give you any advice other than that in recent years the price of electronics in Canada has become much more in line with U.S. pricing so at least you won't have U.S. electronics envy when you get here. Taxes are worse here (HST in Ontario is 13% on your purchases) than buying in the U.S. but if you buy in the U.S. you won't have warranty service in Canada and you have to return items to a U.S. dealer for warranty claims. I mention the U.S. because you'll probably be told by locals to 'cross-border' shop and buy stuff in the U.S. It is not without its pitfalls for Canadians or those living in Canada. Never mind customs fees (which are just taxes added on to stuff when you cross the border over your allowable limit for duty free shopping).

How come just 5.1?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Of course 10.000$ means 10k$ or 10000$.
Anyway thank you for your advice regarding crossborder shopping.

How come 5.1? I think I can get a much better 5.1 or a 5.2 than a 7.1 or 7.2 and if I want to have a projector than the budget is tight.

More advice is very welcome. Thanks
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page