AVS Forum banner

My Media Room Build

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  brian6751 
#1 ·
I am re-doing my basement as my media room. i wanted to do a thread on it to try and give back a little bit of the experience and knowledge i have gained from so many people on these forums. I would never be able to have something like this if not for the ability to do it myself, and i owe a debt of gratitude to many here. i have already done all the cleanup and demo so this should hopefully be done by years end.......i hope.....

Here is a list of the equipment going in:

Samsung PND597000 plasma (for now)

Panasonic BD210 bluray player

Direct TV HD DVR

Marantz SR5005 AVR

Bob Crite's designed Cornscala Style D mains and CS-1T surrounds and center

2 X Bill Fitzmaurice desigend THTLP subwoofers

2 X Dayton Audio 230watt subwoofer amps

Technics SL-Q3 Turn table with Nagaoka mp-110 cart

ART DJ Pre II preamp

The atmosphere im going for is kind of a Pottery Barn type thing with some old school thrown in. I want big performance but i want it to feel very warm and comfortable.

See less See more
#2 ·
so here are some beginning pictures. like a lot of basements, this one was used for storage and was a total mess. it was already "finished", but it was a very cheapo job. there was a room in the far right corner that i removed. there was a cheap drop ceiling. terrible florescent lights and duct tape on the electrical connection above the drop ceiling. it was pretty awful. Im going to prime and paint the cieling black.

First thing i dd was clean everything out. then i removed the two walls that made the room in the corner. Then i took down all the drop ceiling and the soffits that were hiding the beam and ductwork. i took down all the cheap florescent lights and installed cans. i opened up the wall on the far side because the old wall of the room met there and it seemed flimsy. i also new there was a leak somewhere. I also opened up the parts of the wall that covered the basement windows. they arent much, but ill take all the natural light i can get.

You can see the crack in the wall from the photos. it had been patched with hydraulic cement before.i ordered an epoxy to fix that. Then i will rebuild the wall so i will feel comfortable hanging my TV on it.

Thats one of my THTLP's you see there. i had it in the living room. The other sits in the garage.

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

i had a couple of options for placement of all the equipment. I was going to put in in the storage area under the stairs. But i then decided to put it in the wall in the corner near the laundry room. I had to move that wall over 3-4" anyway to fit the Ikea Expidit shelf that i wanted anyway. So i started to build a av rack inspired here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165808/building-diy-a-v-rack-need-some-pointers-please

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

by brian6751 , on Flickr

I have a jig ordered to make the peg holes. I have it covered on the bottom half because ill paint that to match the wall. the end of the Ikea shelf will be against it. i waill put shelves in the back side and use that space for things that i dont need to get to such as wireless router, apple TV etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.