5.1 Sound System, question on surround speaker placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just outfitted my parents basement with 82ii along with rc 62ii and rs 52ii. The system is using a projector with a 106" screen. I have the center 16" away from the wall as well. The surrounds are slightly behind the listening position on the side wall. One question I have on surround placement, With the speakers on the side walls, my left surround is probably 8 feet further away from main listening position than the the right surround. If I hang them on the back wall I can make them equidistant from each other. What would be preferable? I have a attached a diagram for further explanation. For a 5.1 setup would it be better to have the surround in position A or B?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How close is the proposed side surround on the right wall to the listening position? Also how far back would the rear surrounds be from the listen position?

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

The side right if 8 ft from the listening position. The side left is 15 feet from the listening position. If I mounted on the rear wall they would be roughly 6-8 ft from the listening position.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks - I would recommend going with the side surrounds over rears then. Does your AVR have Audyssey sound correction? This will help balance out the surround outputs

Dan

My set up

post #5 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Position A gets my vote.

Position B would be better suited for surround backs on a traditional 7.1 setup.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I stuck with position A. After turning off audyssey dynamic EQ it really leveled things out nicely. I think the dynamic EQ was putting to much emphasis on the surrounds. Some day I might upgrade them to 7.1 but just not needed yet.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Just outfitted my parents basement with 82ii along with rc 62ii and rs 52ii. The system is using a projector with a 106" screen. I have the center 16" away from the wall as well. The surrounds are slightly behind the listening position on the side wall. One question I have on surround placement, With the speakers on the side walls, my left surround is probably 8 feet further away from main listening position than the the right surround. If I hang them on the back wall I can make them equidistant from each other. What would be preferable? I have a attached a diagram for further explanation. For a 5.1 setup would it be better to have the surround in position A or B?

Why is this a problem? Just get a sound meter and adjust the volume to compensate for the unequal distances, Most decent AVRs have "White Noise" to make this adjustment easier. I am sure you do understand in an open basement layout it is never going to be perfect anyway.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

I just thought that there would be a point of better sound if it was more symmetrical then having it uneven at the sides. Based on my quick listening it sounded good.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
5.1 sound should have the surrounds on the side of the listening area, not behind it. Your option B, however, is exactly what you would do in 7.1 setup.

Jason

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page