RGB LED Strip Lightning (5050 60 led) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of renovating my movie room/basement bar/party area.

I am going to be installing floating/flying crown moulding and plan to install LED RGB strips behind the crown.

1) Should I go with the 30 LED/meter strips or the 60 LED/meter strips?

2) I am also thinking of buying waterproof strips and mounting them in the pool. Are the 60 LED strips bright enough to light up the water at night? I was also thinking of mounting these strips as christmas lights under the evestroves.

3) I would prefer to order/install the "Chase" led's but the cost is fairly prohibitive. (180+/5m). Anyone know a vendor that can offer these strips at a more competitive price?

Here is a demo of the RGB LED Chase strips. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTkiNIJkWrY

Demo of RGB LED (Non-chase) strips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSHR6mfbRE

So far I've only seen the RGB LED Chase strips in 30 LED/meter. I'm concerned they would not give enough ambient light vs the 60 LED/meter.

Qualtities required:

Basement - 120'
Pool - 100'
Outside (christmas lights) - 110-130' (width of house roughly)

Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Liked: 11
I've got the 30 led RGB around the ceiling in my theater and just finished a few weeks ago running them all along the eaves of the front of my house as supplemental xmas lights. I can try and get some pics of the outdoor ones if you're interested.

Anyway, the 30 vs. 60 will depend on what you're using the lights in your theater for. For ambient light or accent lighting, the 30 strips will be perfect. I've got mine set to go to the dimmest red setting possible during the movie, like the perimeter lighting at the theater. The 60 strip for my application would probably be too bright and distracting. Using them as direct (or indirect in this case) primary lighting, the 60 strips would probably be preferable. I put some into a crown moulding to try and sell the wife on the idea of using the strips in moulding like you're planning. The 30 RGB strip put out a nice colored accent light, but definately would need to be supplemented with additional lighting. I put some white 60 strips in there and they were plenty bright as indirect lighting, but my opinion was that I'd need to add some additional lighting. For the living room, I was thinking if I did the crown moulding with led strips that I'd use wall sconces or recessed light cans to add to the indirect lighting. For a theater, I think the 60 strips would provide the perfect diffuse, indirect effect when coming from behind crown moulding.

For outside, the 30 strips seem plenty bright and have a spacing that blends well with traditional xmas light strings. The 60 strips would obviously have a higher density. At night, the 30 strips seem more than adequate for xmas decoration.

I can't speak to their use in a pool, but with my experience, I'd think if you do the entire perimeter of the pool with them, the 30 strips would provide enough light.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 92
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen anywhere ever. eek.gifcool.gif

What type of lifespan can a guy expect from these? I am falling in love with these LED strips, but I had one I put up for Christmas this year that started smoking after about 3 minutes. eek.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM

I recently installed them along the perimeter of my screen i built using teh 30's and used waterproof ones, they are easier to install IMO since its easier to press them down and i think it disperses light more efficiently as the covering acts somewhat like a light diffuser.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen anywhere ever. eek.gifcool.gif
What type of lifespan can a guy expect from these? I am falling in love with these LED strips, but I had one I put up for Christmas this year that started smoking after about 3 minutes. eek.gif

The ones in my theater have been up for several months. I got turned onto these strips by a friend who is using them 24/7 on a commercial sign at his auto shop. His have been running fine for about a year now.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarland View Post

The ones in my theater have been up for several months. I got turned onto these strips by a friend who is using them 24/7 on a commercial sign at his auto shop. His have been running fine for about a year now.

Good to hear. Thanks cool.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM

So based on using the 30 LED strips, how many strips, or what length would be needed to use behind a flying crown on a 17' x 23' perimter room?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 PM

I would go around the entire perimeter. So about 5 of the 16' strips with the appropriate splice connectors and such.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Great info. I appreciate the input from everyone. Going to go with the chase strips everywhere. I can see myself sitting by the pool beside my kegerator watching the colors chase each other.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHuey View Post

I recently installed them along the perimeter of my screen i built using teh 30's and used waterproof ones, they are easier to install IMO since its easier to press them down and i think it disperses light more efficiently as the covering acts somewhat like a light diffuser.

I was reading through this thread thinking to myself, "I wonder how cool these would look around the perimeter of my screnn?...". Think I may have the encouragement I needed to give it a try .biggrin.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd_beancounter View Post

I am in the process of renovating my movie room/basement bar/party area.

I am going to be installing floating/flying crown moulding and plan to install LED RGB strips behind the crown.

1) Should I go with the 30 LED/meter strips or the 60 LED/meter strips?

2) I am also thinking of buying waterproof strips and mounting them in the pool. Are the 60 LED strips bright enough to light up the water at night? I was also thinking of mounting these strips as christmas lights under the evestroves.

3) I would prefer to order/install the "Chase" led's but the cost is fairly prohibitive. (180+/5m). Anyone know a vendor that can offer these strips at a more competitive price?

Here is a demo of the RGB LED strips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTkiNIJkWrY

Demo of RGB LED (Non-chase) strips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSHR6mfbRE

So far I've only seen the RGB LED Chase strips in 30 LED/meter. I'm concerned they would not give enough ambient light vs the 60 LED/meter.

Qualtities required:

Basement - 120'
Pool - 100'
Outside (christmas lights) - 110-130' (width of house roughly)

Any input would be appreciated.

hi,friend,in fact,60LEDs per meter LED strips bright than 30LEDs,so recommned use 30LEDs

also,you can use 60LEDs in pool

if you think chase LED strips expensive,you can consider use RGB LED strips.......
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page