Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone
I bought a cheap HTIB on black friday for $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882005116&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I know it is not the greatest but for the money the sound is actually great.
What I want to do is connect the speakers to my Sony receiver as the receiver it came with does not have an optical input It only has an RCA L/R input which I understand will not give me true surround sound.

The problem is this: The subwoofer uses only regular speaker wire to connect as it does not have a bulit in amplifier. I know this will not allow me to connect to a receiver that only has a single RCA out but my receiver has 2 RCA outs for the sub.
The receiver is a STR-DE635
I found a picture of the back here
http://greencitizen.dreamhosters.com/ebay/BG1211082151/005.JPG

Is there anyway I can connect my sub to this?
If not I have a Bose PC speaker system that has a powered sub. Can I connect that to the receiver? It also harnesses the controls for the bose set but I only want to use the sub if needed.

Thnaks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepete1 View Post

What I want to do is connect the speakers to my Sony receiver as the receiver it came with does not have an optical input It only has an RCA L/R input which I understand will not give me true surround sound.

Why did you buy an HTiB system if you already had a receiver? eek.gif

In general, the "cheapest" part of most HTiB systems are the speakers. And that's all you'd be using out of the pack...
Quote:
The problem is this: The subwoofer uses only regular speaker wire to connect as it does not have a bulit in amplifier. I know this will not allow me to connect to a receiver that only has a single RCA out but my receiver has 2 RCA outs for the sub.

Is there anyway I can connect my sub to this?

No.

The sub is unpowered (it's just a speaker). "RCA outputs" are line-level, un-amplified outputs from the receiver. As the market moved to self-contained "powered" subwoofers, AV receivers responded with a line-level output, leaving amplification to the sub itself.
Quote:
If not I have a Bose PC speaker system that has a powered sub. Can I connect that to the receiver? It also harnesses the controls for the bose set but I only want to use the sub if needed.

Hard to say, but knowing Bose, probably not.

Sorry.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht