pioneer elite vsx-42 or another sound receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have a rotel rsx-1056. I love the sound and video quality that I get from the rotel. But I think it's time to upgrade cause I need hdmi.

The guy at best buy convinced me to buy a pioneer elite vsx-42 saying it was fantastic bang for buck (at $350) but I'm having second thoughts after reading some reviews.

I want something that will be an upgrade to my current rotel and I'm afraid I might be downgrading sound/video quality.

Is the elite vsx-42 right for me or should I get something else?

I'm willing to buy used sound recievers off ebay even to pay less to get more (unless you guys think that's a bad idea). I'd like to spend $500 or less. I want something simple to use (my rotels software was quite complicated and the remote was not intuitive to use). I need at least 3 component video inputs, 3 hdmi, and 1 component output for my projector. I want 3d capabilities. I have a 5.1 speaker setup in a room that's about 12'x24' (projector screen is on the 12' wide wall). The speakers are the big boxy type not the little mini speakers.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The VSX-42 has a single component input, and no component output, so why is that even a consideration with the "need" list as posted?
Your Rotel probably has a very nice amplifier section, so you will have a hard time matching that sound without a stellar find in the used market.
I would start searching for something with pre outs so you can eventually invest in an amplifier of similar quality to your Rotel, maybe a year or two old Marantz, or older Pioneer Elite would do in the mean time, but 3D and quantity of analog jacks will likely push you into the higher end models.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 6 Old 12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

you might want to check out JR music world. they are blowing out Pioneer VSX-1122's. better move fast

post #4 of 6 Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

you might want to check out JR music world. they are blowing out Pioneer VSX-1122's. better move fast

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place they have it for $400. Doesn't seem like a blow out price. If I am looking in the wrong place can you please point towards the cheaper price as I am interested in this model.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Thought $200 off was a substantial discount. Guess that was the closeout price everywhere. Amazon still has them for less than $400 including shipping

post #6 of 6 Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Yes still a good price just making sure there wasn't something else.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page