Using remote that came with cable box to control audio on dvd/surround sound system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have Comcast cable using a Scientific Atlanta cable box with the supplied remote. My problem is that I have to press "aux" on the remote to change the volume and then press "cable" when I want to use the number pad to change channels (pressing 0 cycles input on the dvd/surround sound fm/am/aux/ etc.)

I want a remote that allows me to change channels and adjust the sound without having to press "aux" or "cable" when I want to do either. Can anybody recommend a universal remote or a way to do this with my current remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Cheapest one I know of (and the one I use all over the house) is the URC WR7, which can be had for $20. The feature is generally called "punch through" or something like that - where volume controls are assigned to one device even when a different device is selected.

The WR7 is also a learning remote, so it's got a lot of flexibility for the price.

http://www.adorama.com/URURWR7.html?gclid=CNyZ8qjUjrQCFQu0nQod9V4AAA

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have a Harmony 1, but I think any of the Harmony remotes would do what you're wanting.

You set up an activity called "Watch TV" and the software asks you questions about which device controls volume, which device changes channels, etc etc.

I have my HTIB doing sound, my cable box changing channels, and my TV display it all. But you just use my remote and you have no idea cool.gif

*Edit. Don't know about budget. The Harmony's might be more than you're wanting to spend
post #4 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Most of the remotes that ship with the Comcast units allow you to tie the volume to your device so that you don't have to do that. It's been awhile since I've used that remote, but a quick google search should get you fixed.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page