Better Way to Spend my Next $250 (??) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which is the "better buy"?
Polk FXi5 surround speakers 0 0%
Sony VPL-BW5 projector with motorized screen 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a small (12.5' x 11.5') theater room which consists of:
-50" Panasonic ST30 display
-Onkyo 709 receiver
-Polk RTi8 fronts
-Polk CSi5 center
-Polk RTi6 surrounds
-Polk RTi4 surround back/front wide
-Outlaw EX subwoofer

I have been searching around for Polk FXi3 or FXi5 speakers to use as surrounds for some time now. I like the dispersed sound they give, and would prefer it over having directional surrounds. It would also allow me to sell my RTi4s, and move the stronger RTi6 speakers to front wide position. I recently came upon a pair of used FXi5 for sale for $200 and was ready to pull the trigger, until...

Somebody listed a Sony VPL-BW5 projector locally for $300, and is also including a motorized 86" screen and 25 ft. HDMI cable along with it, for that same price.

I'd love to hear which you guys think would be the better buy for me at this point!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anybody?

post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It is a great way to get your feet wet with a projector and not be out much. Do realize though that, that particular projector came out in 2008, is only 720p, and you don't know how many hours are on the bulb. Check if the seller will let you see it in action since you said he was local. The screen is a bit small but again as a beginner not a bad place to start. As long as you realize this is not professional quality stuff, it is a good way to get into the hobby to see if you want to continue before you spend more.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

It is a great way to get your feet wet with a projector and not be out much. Do realize though that, that particular projector came out in 2008, is only 720p, and you don't know how many hours are on the bulb. Check if the seller will let you see it in action since you said he was local. The screen is a bit small but again as a beginner not a bad place to start. As long as you realize this is not professional quality stuff, it is a good way to get into the hobby to see if you want to continue before you spend more.

I definitely do understand where you are coming from. I have always wanted a projector, and had planned on going 1080p + 3D so I didn't have to "buy twice." On the other hand, I never expected to come across (what I think to be) a decent projector + screen for only $300.

I was planning on seeing it in action before buying...and the owner said the lamp has 906 hours on it, which I listed above. He sent me a picture of the projector menu showing the hours.

Again my question is basically "is this a good deal?" A "good enough" deal that it's worth spending the $300 on it now rather than waiting another year or however long before I am ready to buy a $1,200+ projector?

post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You're not going to find a better deal than $300 to enter the projector and screen arena. To me, this is a no-brainer over surround speakers. Pull the trigger and prepare to be sucked in smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

You're not going to find a better deal than $300 to enter the projector and screen arena. To me, this is a no-brainer over surround speakers. Pull the trigger and prepare to be sucked in smile.gif

Thanks...this is the type of response I was looking for. I am still fairly new to the home theater gig, and have no knowledge or experience with projectors at all. Your response (and any others) are appreciated!

post #7 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Keep in mind too that you can always project a larger image by shooting on to a white wall. This will give you a better idea of how the true cinema experience can be. I'm guessing you could always sell the screen for $100 or so and move into a fixed screen for a few hundred dollars more. Check out the screens from Carada to get a better idea of pricing there. I've used them since day 1 and love the bang for the buck.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Keep in mind too that you can always project a larger image by shooting on to a white wall. This will give you a better idea of how the true cinema experience can be. I'm guessing you could always sell the screen for $100 or so and move into a fixed screen for a few hundred dollars more. Check out the screens from Carada to get a better idea of pricing there. I've used them since day 1 and love the bang for the buck.

Thanks for the info. Like I said - my theater room is very small at 23.5' x 11.5'. I know 86" isn't huge, but I think given the dimensions of my room (I sit 8-9 feet from screen), it will suffice. Plus, I planned on having it slide down in front of my ST30, so having a fixed screen woould never work...and since I would need space between my ST30 and the screen when using it, my viewing distances will become 7-8 ft from the screen. I will see how it goes though. I know there is always room for upgrade cool.gif

post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ended up buying the projector tonight. Here is the link to my thread on it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444594/my-new-sony-vpl-bw5-projector#post_22692213

I will get some pics of it + screenshots (hopefully) soon!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page