You design it. You name it. My basement is a blank slate! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Really hoping this wonderful community came help me design a killer finished basement. I had initially toyed with the idea of having a closed-off, dedicated theater area (as shown with large rectangular area on the left). Since that time, I've decided that an open floorplan is probably the best way to go. I don't mind doing a partial wall (probably adjacent to the screen wall) ... but, most importantly, I'd like to use the whole space for a number of purposes. In order of importance:

1. Theater
2. Poker Area
3. Arcade game or two.
4. Instrument/Band/Lounge Area
5. Elliptical Machine / Small set of weights
6. Foosball table ??

My main obstacle is the furnace and water heater ... detailed in the floor plan here --> http://imgur.com/8Is3o

I had drawn some other plans.. with the idea of moving the furnace and water heater closer to the wall, but I've decided against such a frivolous expense. However, you get the idea for what I'm looking for as far as toys and living area. http://imgur.com/gkn2U,mjaCh#1

Of course, as the title states-- if you help design it, you can name it as there will be signage.

Big thanks for any assistance you can provide. I know we all lead fairly busy lives.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Welcome to the group. My current build is my first theater that isn't fully enclosed, so I know where you're coming from. I ended up doing a row of bar seats to create a partial wall between the viewing area and the gaming space. Look forward to watching the progress here.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Welcome to the group. My current build is my first theater that isn't fully enclosed, so I know where you're coming from. I ended up doing a row of bar seats to create a partial wall between the viewing area and the gaming space. Look forward to watching the progress here.

Nice looking room, I like the idea of having a back-row bar area... Honestly we hardly ever have people over for movie night, so I'm not concerned about seating for more than myself and future-wife. Bar-row seating would be perfect for the situation where people do actually come by-- I can always back that up with some beanbag chairs or other (more permanent) auxiliary seating if it makes sense.

I see you've got a 128" screen-- How far is the main seating and bar-row from the screen?
post #4 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's actually 136" smile.gif 128 was my last one.

That was exactly my intention with the bar. We wanted some dedicated seating, as well as some flexible bar seating that would allow people to sit and watch or to get up and move around in the recreational space.

Front row seating is at 11'6" and the bar seating is right around 15 feet.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Costco actually has some nice theater seats that breakdown and fold up for when you need additional last minute seats. There's a thread on here somewhere about them, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Pole Vault Build.

The Enclave.

The MP6 Build (multipurpose, 6 different functions)

Oh, you were actually looking for useful input? Sorry.

Any acoustical concerns?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

The Pole Vault Build.
The Enclave.
The MP6 Build (multipurpose, 6 different functions)
Oh, you were actually looking for useful input? Sorry.
Any acoustical concerns?

I kind of dig the Enclave. I don't anticipate any acoustical concerns. I'm going to do what I can to soundproof the basement as much as possible, but future wife is pretty cool about any kind of noise and we don't have kids (don't plan on having kids either). So, I think at most I will insulate the walls and possibly hang double-drywall with green glue. I've looked into sound-clips and decoupling the walls... I've talked to FW on more than one occasion and we don't see the point in the additional cost.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Depending on the amount of money you spend on the finish, you may want to consider a backup sump pump, next to the current pump. Though, the backup can fail too, or the power goes out. Some people in the Dedicated Home Theater subforum have discussed the issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?search=sump+pump+flood&type=all

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Depending on the amount of money you spend on the finish, you may want to consider a backup sump pump, next to the current pump. Though, the backup can fail too, or the power goes out. Some people in the Dedicated Home Theater subforum have discussed the issue.
http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?search=sump+pump+flood&type=all

I've thought about this for quite some time and it is something I will continue to monitor. My house is built across the street from a flood plane retention area. I've never seen that area accumulate any water... and this was after a long 3 days of solid rainfall. During that time I closely monitored the well for my sump pump and the thing was bone dry. I will likely hook a backup sump & water alarm and forget about it.

Good looking out for me though! Thanks
post #10 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
So, I think at most I will insulate the walls and possibly hang double-drywall with green glue. I've looked into sound-clips and decoupling the walls... I've talked to FW on more than one occasion and we don't see the point in the additional cost.

Don't talk to FW, talk to Ted at the soundproofing company. I think you'll find the incremental cost for the clips to decouple your walls are well worth it, ESPECIALLY if you are already planning to DD+GG . Since you're new and just starting out, I'll throw out there that the REAL reason to "soundproof" is to lower the noise floor INSIDE the room. The fact that it helps keeps sound from getting out is only a happy coincidence.

And I'll add that you want to build the room the best it can be. It's easy to upgrade equipment; it's REALLY hard to impossible to go back and decouple the walls.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #11 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Don't talk to FW, talk to Ted at the soundproofing company. I think you'll find the incremental cost for the clips to decouple your walls are well worth it, ESPECIALLY if you are already planning to DD+GG . Since you're new and just starting out, I'll throw out there that the REAL reason to "soundproof" is to lower the noise floor INSIDE the room. The fact that it helps keeps sound from getting out is only a happy coincidence.
And I'll add that you want to build the room the best it can be. It's easy to upgrade equipment; it's REALLY hard to impossible to go back and decouple the walls.

Yea, I've heard this and I think I'm just going to do it so people stop telling me that I SHOULD do it....

I think I might try to start the framing process in two weeks when I will be on vacation. Am I correct in thinking I can just start framing the walls (indicated in the attached picture) and then install the furring channel + soundclips once all the framing is done? Anything else I should consider when framing the walls?

http://imgur.com/EAluq
post #12 of 19 Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Wise move!

Again, talk to Ted first. If you get the right kind of clips, you cut the studs 1/2" short of the joists and use the clips to attach the top plate of stud wall to the joists. You only need clips (a different kind) AND channel on the ceiling.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #13 of 19 Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
With an open floor plan you're going to direct sound throughout the basement. Where do you want the sound NOT to go?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #14 of 19 Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

So instead of just looking at my floorplan, here are some shots of the basement I took this morning.

The view coming down the stairs, note the middle support beam on the right.

3.5x12 nook area and possible back of theater area.

Side view of proposed theater area.

Screen wall of proposed theater area, note water main at bottom left.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Close up of nook area that contains watermain (screen wall) and just around the corner is water softener. Possible equipment rack area?

View of the rest of the basement from screen area. Furnace and water heater can be seen as well as HVAC trunk from furnace

Close up shot of 3.5x12 nook area with random music equipment inside.

Area under the stairs coming down. Radon mitigation system can be seen (white PVC going into concrete). Plan is to make this a storage closet.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Plumbing pre-set just to the right of the 3.5x12 nook area, this will be removed as i have no desire for a bathroom in the basement. There is a 'public' bathroom at the top of the stairs.

View of current storage area. This area is the bottom-right part of the floorplan. Furnace can be seen just to the left.

Area behind the furnace and water heater... Electric panel can be seen.

Optional Egress window in the theater area... It does not provide anything scenic and barely lets in any light.

Code Egress window in theater area, bigger, but again no light comes in... Sump pump in view.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

First off big thanks to Tedd for getting this project headed in the right direction. I've attached a copy of the latest floorplan idea that I already really like-- I'm not sure what else can be done to optimize everything, but this is definitely the group that can do it.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning what equipment I'm thinking about at this point so as to ensure it compliments the room soon to be under construction.

JVC-4810
136" AT 2.35 screen(not sure if this will need to be reduced in size due to the shorter throw)
7.1 Surround

Rather than paraphrase, i'm just going to copy/paste what Ted suggested for the room.
Tried a barn door style sliding panel for storage area and furnace access.

The av rack would be small and high above a door, so one of those storage racks of yours could be cut down in height, and end up on wheels to roll out, beneath the av rack. The av rack could be out of the room or in the room. I prefer outside, no noise, no heat load and no lights. You'd still want to provide for some airchanges for the theater but the upper area could also put a projector hushbox into the back wall. It's not finished square footage but no reason access to the sump pump couldn't earn it's keep.

The water access would be a panelled wall, with the "door" being hidden. Beside the water conditioner, another occassional use closet (since the pinball machines are in front). I assume they are heavy to move, but why waste the space? The other side of the closet
on the stairs would get a similar panelled wall, or just a simple door.

Looks like that stair load wall could be cut back a stud or two, and new studs added to brace. Might want to explore there. The edge of the stair might be a small trip hazard but it could widen out the pole to end of stair wall 3" and I doubt you'd catch a foot that close to a wall edge.

The bar has a hinged access section of the top, to let it be wider.

Big questions for right now are:
1. How to get started smile.gif I'll be talking to my buddy who recently finished his basement as well as recruiting my brother and another friend who are able builders.

1a. I never taken on a project this big before, but I determined to complete it and be as careful and meticulous to detail as I can in the process.

Thanks again for everyone's time and input into this project. I'm not sure if Ted intended to name the theater, but at one point he referred to "The Edge Theater" and while I'm not a huge U2 fan, I think it has a good ring to it.

Phil

(edit: ok, I may have gotten my Tedd's mixed up, big thanks to either way!) smile.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
That stairwell is an issue. Ideally, there would be a double wall between all the noise and the stairwell framing

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #19 of 19 Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

That stairwell is an issue. Ideally, there would be a double wall between all the noise and the stairwell framing

Ted, will I need sound-clips for the walls that are adjacent to the concrete foundation? I found another thread and based off a post there, I'm guessing no? I understand I will be decoupling the ceiling and the wall adjacent to the arcade machines. Thanks. Also, I sent you an e-mail through your website and never heard back.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357467/my-ht-2nd-time-around
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page