Dampen or soundproof (very inexspensively) crawlspace with what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

Drew the short end of the straw in the home purchase a few years ago...no basement or dedicated room for HT. So, I am stuck having to watch TV in the living room with a headphone setup. But, my overactive 8 year old insists practicing karate in his room when I watch TV. The impact of his heels is felt in the living room and it's driving me crazy.

House has a crawl space and I am going to close it off soon but before I do, I am going to install some conduits for future wiring projects. While I am down there I want to put something on the bottom of the floor to cut down on noise transmission. I have looked in mass loaded vinyl but that is way too $$$ for the area that needs to be dampened. Not sure what I can do besides the vinyl. I've looked into rolls of recycled rubber but it's still very pricey. I'm looking to have to dampen/proof the underside of a 1600-1800 sq. ft. home.

Any and all advice/help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

In search of my next cold one,

NearBeer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 11
Roofing felt, works well. I put that under my wood floor when I built my house. It adds a layer of sound proofing that is inexpensive and easy to install/work with. If I were to do it again, I would do two layers of roofing felt. You can buy it at any roofing place, or even Lowes. Thicker is better.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM

In my first house, I had to add regular rolls of insulation there, for warmth not soundproofing though. biggrin.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I have insulation down there already but it will have to come out in the near future as I have discovered mold on the joists. The plan is to enclose the crawl space as well as put new insulation in; small critters have made nests in the existing insulation and have shredded the bats of fiberglass. I figure while I am having to gut the crawl space to get rid of the mold I should go ahead and put soundproofing down while I am down there.

Still haven't found my next cold one,

NearBeer
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page