Home Theater Disasters! Share your tales of woe here! Cracked screens, holes poked in woofers, Beer spilled in open-chassis tube amp or any other horror tale worth telling... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
My tale of terror began this past June. With a nice big payday in hand, I set out to satiate my need for 3D. I wanted it all... movies, video games, 3D photos from my camera! I even bought a Sony 3D HDR-TD10 3D camcorder. I was ready, and when I saw a nice Panasonic TC-P55GT30 for about $800 open-box at Best Buy I grabbed it.

Skip forward a few weeks. I was enjoying the TV a great deal. I used it in conjunction with my HTPC and had set up a mini-desk on the floor in front of it for gaming and browsing the web while chilling. I was in front of the computer, typing like I am right now, when in the blink of an eye and with a frightening 'bang' the TV was suddenly resting on top of my keyboard. The wall was blank. It happened so fast, I really didn't even see it.

The TV was toast. Thankfully my hands were not on the keyboard at the exact moment it fell! The screen cracked and of course with a plasma that's the end of the story. The mount kit I used - turns out the screws were slightly too small for the anchors and they just slid out. I felt a bit foolish. I should have bought a wall mount with at least double the capacity, and I should have read reviews before hand.

The story does have a happy ending. I love the replacement TV - a 55" Vizio Razor - very much. considerably more than the Panasonic GT30 it replaced. I talk about the Vizio in this 'love-letter' I wrote to it after the accident - and after re-watching a whole bunch of 3D content.

That's not my only disaster, but I'd love to read about some other folks' experiences before sharing any others.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Damn ,that sucks..Good thing your hands didn't get crushed ...
I definitely have my own stories ..but mine are all kid related !!
Mainly the 2 year old ..

Little fingers being poked through my woofers(which have since been repaired and working like new again smile.gif ) ,and just recently drawing with crayon and pushing the oldest plasma (which was going to be given to the Grandparents) over and cracking it...

P6134592.JPG 310k .JPG file
PC225076.JPG 155k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6134592.JPG (309.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PC225076.JPG (155.4 KB, 13 views)
post #3 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Ah yes, kids and hifi gear don't always mix. I am reminded of the old American Express TV ads with the kid shoving a sandwich into a VCR! Is there any way you could upload those pics so they show up directly in the post - right now they are showing up as downloadable jpegs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthemachine View Post

Damn ,that sucks..Good thing your hands didn't get crushed ...
I definitely have my own stories ..but mine are all kid related !!
Mainly the 2 year old ..
Little fingers being poked through my woofers(which have since been repaired and working like new again smile.gif ) ,and just recently drawing with crayon and pushing the oldest plasma (which was going to be given to the Grandparents) over and cracking it...
P6134592.JPG 310k .JPG file
PC225076.JPG 155k .JPG file

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 4 Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page