Moving into house w/ pre-built media room- question about speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, in around 20 days we'll be moving into a house w/ a glorious media room. The sellers are leaving an epson 7500ub projector and 110" screen- score! Also, there are 6 surround speakers built into the wall w/ mesh covers (so I haven't been able to see what the model is yet). I have had a surround setup in my existing house for years, the traditional 5.1 variety. What I'm trying to understand is- are the 6 surround speakers in my new media room part of an incomplete 7.1 setup where I'll need to provide my own center channel and sub, or are the two front l/r supposed to account for a center channel as well? I would guess that may depend on the speaker type. I'm just throwing this out there for thoughts and suggestions so I have a better idea when I move in. I will happily plug in my own polk center channel and sub if need be, but if there's something I don't know about modern home theater design and implementation I'm happy and eager to learn from the pros here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You could set up your left and right speakers to act in phantom mode to produce a center speaker sound. But I have a feeling there may be a speaker wall connection or they may have simply had all of the AV gear set up under the screen and just used a stand-a-lone center speaker. And yes, you would still use your subwoofer. Enjoy
post #3 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sounds like a pretty good situation! Unfortunately you may find the in-wall speakers to be lacking, you'll have to wait and see. Worst case scenario you can tear off all the drywall, adjust sound insulation/wiring as needed, and then re-drywall the room, depending on how they did it.

How exactly are the speakers arranged, and what size are they?

There is front height speakers, or front wide speakers potentially. Also keep in mind there is 5.1, 6.1 (somewhat rare) and 7.1
post #4 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. There are two l/r speakers on the front wall where the screen is. Then two more about centered in the room, and two in the back.. I think they just have all the speaker wires poking through under the screen which will be hidden by a media cabinet. I don't remember seeing a connector plate. Sounds like hooking up my own center and sub is prob the way to go.. Unfortunately I'll have to skip the mids for now and do 5.1.. I have an older denon that doesn't do 7.1 ;(
post #5 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Until you get a 7.1 AVR, you can wire the side and surround speakers in series and drive them from the surround outputs. Not ideal, but probably better than using either pair alone.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Until you get a 7.1 AVR, you can wire the side and surround speakers in series and drive them from the surround outputs. Not ideal, but probably better than using either pair alone.

Very interesting.. I'll have to do my homework on this as I've never done speakers in a series..Assuming that this can be done with the exposed wires under the screen and I won't have to manipulate anything behind on the wall? Also, do you know how this would affect audyssey setup if at all?. I suppose it would just play the test blips in both side/rear and adjust accordingly and not thoroughly confuse it hopefully.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what Audyssey will think, but it will not hurt to try it.

I am suggesting wiring them in series as that will present a very friendly load for the amps. It's easy. Take the red from one speaker and tie it to the black of the other. Insulate it so it will not touch anything else. Now connect the amp to the remaining red/black as usual.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #8 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

So my assumption about not having to do anything behind the wall was wrong I suppose. Hmm- we'll have to see- if it takes a lot of work I'll prob just run 5.1 for now. On the actual wiring you described- are all wires still the same to the avr except there is an extra wire for the red to black series? In other words- do those two terminals end up having two speaker wires? Or, is there only one speaker wire home run to the avr from those 2?
post #9 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagfish View Post

So my assumption about not having to do anything behind the wall was wrong I suppose. Hmm- we'll have to see- if it takes a lot of work I'll prob just run 5.1 for now. On the actual wiring you described- are all wires still the same to the avr except there is an extra wire for the red to black series? In other words- do those two terminals end up having two speaker wires? Or, is there only one speaker wire home run to the avr from those 2?
There should be 6 runs from the six speakers in the walls. What you merely do is find the two sets of wires for the speakers on the left side (not the front one of course), and connect one plus to the other minus, then connect the remaining plus and minus to your receiver. The receiver will drive both speakers at the same time.

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #10 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Forgive my ignorance on the series wiring, I've just never done it before.. So I'll twist the plus / minus wires together, cover with a wire connector and plug the remaining ones into the receiver? Also, you mentioned the left, I'm assuming I'd need to do the same on the right?
post #11 of 15 Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #12 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
....What Roger Dressler drew....

Check out my theater! My Theater
Here is the Arcade: The Arcade
post #13 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks- that seems to back up what I was thinking a couple of posts ago. I was just thrown by the "What you merely do is find the two sets of wires for the speakers on the left side" comment. This will need to be done on the right as well yes? Thanks for helping out fellas.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagfish View Post

Thanks- that seems to back up what I was thinking a couple of posts ago. I was just thrown by the "What you merely do is find the two sets of wires for the speakers on the left side" comment. This will need to be done on the right as well yes? Thanks for helping out fellas.
Yes, the same thing needs to be done for the Rs/Rb pair as the Ls/Lb pair.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #15 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the confirmation.. I made a post over on the thread for my denon to see peoples' experience with audyssey config and series wiring.. Anxious to see what they have to say.. Also, current house appraisal got done yesterday- last step our buyers have to approve before closing time on the houses.. Wish me luck!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page