Apartment building + 12x10 living room - 5.1 set up too much? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm currently considering this set up...

Yamaha v673 receiver

and

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System

I think I can manage with space but I'm not sure if I'm better off getting a soundbar for around the same price given the small living room. I'm also concerned about what my neighbors would think of the sound output. I was thinking of using isolation risers to help minimize subwoofer vibration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Volume is volume regardless of the speakers... Do you plan to stay in the apartment forever? Speaker will easily last a decade. And yes, the subwoofer is what usually causes neighbor problems. Isolation may help, but volume = energy, it gets absorbed somewhere...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 12-25-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Considering the space I have for the price I'm getting in Manhattan, I'm not going any time soon. Maybe in another 6 or so. I do have to be concerned about sound levels though as the walls are not concrete.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 10
I have the energy take classic 5.1 in a larger 15x18 living room. I am very satisfied with the system for what It is worth. the subwoofer is more than adequate for the size of living room. I have to turn down my volume many times because I was afraid I'd get complaints. but thankfully hasnt happened yet.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok thanks! Do you use anything to help with subwoofer vibrations?

I ended up going with this deal...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115376&Tpk=yamaha%20673

Which had free 5.1 Polk speakers. It ain't the best but it'll be an upgrade regardless since I'm currenlty using my tv speakers
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I purchased a 5.1 setup 10 or so years ago. It wasn't until I purchased a house that I was able to even plug in my sub and use it.

If you just have the sub turned off you will probably be fine. And like the poster said above, speakers last a long time.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It depends on the noise seperation between you and your neighbors. I'm in an apartment too, and can play my system as loud as I want without complaints. It gets plenty loud and the bass easily shakes the glass dishes in my kitchen 15+ feet away during the average movie.

I've asked my neighbor beneath me if they can hear my sub while it's playing near max. They could barely hear anything.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM

Liked: 10
I moved into a ground floor apartment after living in a house for 10 years and its been hell with my neighbors ever since. I,ve got an awesome 5.1 system that I've had to disconnect the sub and even move my equipment to an opposite side wall and still get slammed doors, pounding on the wall and even police and landlord visits and still can't keep this bitch happy! Even with concrete floors and turning down the towers I still get complaints. It really pisses me off that I can't enjoy my system cause Iv'e got a neighbor that still lives in the 20th century. The only time I can really play a movie is to watch out when they leave and are not home and then can play a blu-ray! Iv'e had to resort to a sound bar for regular viewing and it sucks, as soon as this bitch comes home its wam!! she slams her front door to let me know the Queen is home!! Bitch!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Depends on your neighbors and your ability to limit yourself. My apartment living room is a 16x12 and I've got what I consider to be overkill for the space, but if I keep it reasonable my neighbors don't complain. I'm running Jamo S606 and S506 towers, a S60 center and an outlaw lfm-1ex sub with an onkyo tx-nr609 receiver. I can (and have) rattled the walls in my downstairs neighbors apartment but, I don't unless I'm watching a movie during a reasonable hour. The times I did do it, he was understanding and only asked that I keep it to a minimum. Your neighbors may be less understanding. In any event. you don't have to turn it up past normal listening levels to enjoy a home theater set-up.
Another thing to consider is the amount of time you intend to spend in your apartment. If your not going to be there long (less than a year or so) It might be best to settle for tv speakers and save your money for when you move into a house and want a bigger system. If you just can't wait, keep it cheap so not much is lost when you want to upgrade (trust me you will, lol)....Personally I think the set-up you have chosen would work good in an apartment if you can limit yourself.