Should I get a new display? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, i don't post much but have learned a bit from browsing this site.

After a long day of working at a job I hate I go home to my modest home theater room and waste a few hours before I have to wake up a repeat the tedium that is my life. My room is 12ft by 12ft and I currently have a Mitsubishi WD-60C8 that is the display for my gaming PC, HTPC, and PS3. I like the set very much, its not as good as my old RPCRT but it plays nice with my computer and supports more resolutions. The rainbow effect is a tad annoying and the response time isn't as good as a CRT or plasma but when I bought it it beat everything in its price range. The set has almost 7000 hours on it now and I'm worried the bulb will burn out soon. I've heard that the DLP sets are prone to getting white dots over time. So before I go spend money on a new bulb I was considering a new set.

I can't see myself going down in screen size. I was considering getting a projector but I was worried about the noise from it being a few feet from my head.would be distracting. I'd like a plasma but fear of burn in. LCD TVs look pretty good now a days but are they really my best option?

So I'm not really sure which direction to go towards, should i just replace my bulb and cross my fingers? Save a little money by putting the bulb money towards a new set since the DLP is doomed to failure at some point? I don't really have an exact budget but id like to keep it under $2k,but the closer to $1k the better.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You can buy a new Mitsubishi 73" DLP for about $1,400. But if it bothers you, they are not going to make them anymore.

Second option is a front projector. This is what I would recommend. Having it mounted 2' to 3' from your ears is no problem, as long as the bulb is on low power mode. But you will need a receiver and speakers if you go this route. Do you already own a sound system? Screen size is based on your seating distance from screen. And you will need to buy or make your own screen.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Being an old man, with no debt and a nice nest egg, I will tell you to spend $200 for a new lamp and mirror cleaning There is an AVS member that will walk you through the cleaning process for a small fee, but I think it is silly to buy a new device when all you need to do is a little maintenance on the one you have (and you said you like). See this post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446978/crystal-clear-viewing-is-back-no-matter-how-old-your-set-is/0_100.
So for about $300 your set looks like it did when you first bought it with a new Mitsubishi OEM lamp and clean mirrors and lenses. Can you get a new display for $300? if in another year you get white dots, then think about spending $2000+ but right now you are wasting money that you do not need to waste.. If the government doesn't get it/s act together, you may be spending $3500 more in taxes next year.. and they won't take your new TV in trade! eek.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Jim mcc
Yes I have a 5.1/2 system (does a transducer count as a .1?) I couldn't imagine using the Mitsubishi speakers. Im fairly handy and wouldn't mind making my own screen at all.

Airscapes
I think ill take your advice. I have two expensive hobbies and tend to be penny wise pound foolish with them. Ill start to read up on dlp maintenance.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rljetsetradio View Post

Jim mcc
Yes I have a 5.1/2 system (does a transducer count as a .1?) I couldn't imagine using the Mitsubishi speakers. Im fairly handy and wouldn't mind making my own screen at all.
Airscapes
I think ill take your advice. I have two expensive hobbies and tend to be penny wise pound foolish with them. Ill start to read up on dlp maintenance.

I had a Mits WD-Y65 purchased at Circuit City back on Christmas Eve 2006. Had 0 problems with it. Sold it for $350 a couple of months ago. Upgraded to a 70 inch 3D Sharp LED panel. 7000 hours on the bulb is excellent life, but your picture has probably dimmed a bit by now. You could install a new lamp, and clean the inside assembly, and basically have a new set. I retired mine for two reasons:

1: Fan noise - it was slightly noisy when running
2: Cabinet size - I wanted to regain some space in my 12 X 14 living room. And I was tired of my cat walking across the top of the set. biggrin.gif

The new television supports 1080P resolution from my HTPC without custom scaling. Text is quite sharp (no pun intended) and response time is very good. I was looking at the 65 inch Panasonic VT50, but I would have had an issue with glare with my pocket doors open. In your case, consider the pros and cons of a projector against a flat panel, or a new, larger DLP display device.

With a projector, you will still need to factor in lamp replacement, and the cost of wiring and mounting the projector and screen. And, you need to think about controlling ambient light in the room.

With a LCD flat panel, you can scale the size up to 90 inches, and not have to worry about image retention or replacing a lamp.

Plasma offers the most accurate picture, with great black levels, fast response times, and excellent off axis viewing, but reflections off the screen might be an issue.

With a DLP television, you can go up to 92 inches at fire sale prices (under 3K) now since Mitsubishi has bailed from the DLP biz.
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-92742-92-Inch-Home-Cinema/dp/B007TGKLFM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce/176-5391892-2696009

Have fun shopping!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page