Is the panamax MIW-POWERKIT-PRO worth having? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just purchased a new panny vt50 plasma display which i plan to mount on the wall. The salesman sold me on the idea of getting the panamax in-wall powerkit pro as well. After thinking about this a little more, is it worth spending another $100 on the in wall power kit if i already have a furman elite 15 pfi for my power conditioner? Isn't it a little redundant to have both? All the components (Arcam avr300, oppo 103, paradigm subwoofer, and xbox 360) along with the furman will sit below the tv. For my edification, can someone explain to me the purpose of this power kit? I suppose i could have interrogated the salesman more, but my kid was with me and I had to get out of there fast. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Well, it does two things - first it's a kit to provide a power outlet (and a path for signal cables - HDMI, etc.) behind the TV, and second, these units also have basic surge/filter features...

These Panamax units were, I think, the first on the market with these types of kits. Now there are many others, including the AVS-discount-available PowerBridge, and some very inexpensive solutions (not as nice) from Monoprice. All of these other solutions provide only the power and signal inlet/outlet kit - no surge/filtering.

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/avsspecialorder.html

But you're correct, if you plug the inlet into a power conditioner, you don't need any additional filtering. And I prefer the products that include both power and A/V cable scoops in a single faceplate.

PowerBridge has a new one called thINWALL (at the bottom of the AVS page) which has a recessed, angled box to place behind the TV. Very close to my favorite way of doing this, which is to use the power inlet parts of any of these kits, and then use an Arlington TVBox 3 or 4-gang recessed box behind the TV.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you. Thats the information I was looking for.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page