In-Wall without backing wall - picture included - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My center wall where the TV is mounted along with the C/LF/RF speakers does not have a back to it.

I am going to build a frame around the speakers and wanted to insulate it also. Currently the speaker on the right of the photo simply has a wooden frame with a sheet of hardwood around it. The center speaker has no frame and the left speaker (left in photo) has just a frame.

What type of insulation should I use, and should I use some type of sealant around the edges of the wood?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What I'm thinking about getting after looking around is some fiberglass. However I can't seem to find details on the amount to use in this special use case.

Since the dimension of depth is up to me, should I keep the back-panel flush to the speaker magnet or put insulation between the back of the speaker and closing wood piece?

Any tips or ideas on what screws/nails or type of wood to use for the enclosure?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by outspoken View Post

What I'm thinking about getting after looking around is some fiberglass. However I can't seem to find details on the amount to use in this special use case.
Since the dimension of depth is up to me, should I keep the back-panel flush to the speaker magnet or put insulation between the back of the speaker and closing wood piece?
Any tips or ideas on what screws/nails or type of wood to use for the enclosure?

Couple of things. I would consult with the speaker manufacturer on what size volume box to build. Too large or too small could have negative impact on your sound. As for the box itself, I would just use 1/2" or 3/4" MDF. It is cheap and is used on lots of speaker and sub builds. I would also used PL Premium to construct the boxes as it expands and will give you a seal. The key is to seal the box appropriately. As for insulation, I would use an R-11 or R-13 and leave it fluffy. You don't want to overpack it or condense it too much.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
What's the purpose of the insulation? If thermal, put fiberglass outside of the box. If acoustic insulation, I'd put it outside the box, and possibly line the inside with something specific (duckboard/other).

+1, the speaker manufacturer can give you the ideal volume of the back box.

I used scrap plywood for in-ceiling speaker backboxes, in the attic.

TheSoundProofingCompany.com has lots of educational material on their website, if you're looking for acoustic insulation.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone