"Seperator" Curtain? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I thought this would probably be the best place to ask about this.

I would like to mount a single curtain/drape to my ceiling to seperate my entry way from my living room to help block out light when watching movies during the day. In the attached pic, it would span the opening between SL speaker and the FL speaker. I haven't measured, but I'm guessing it's about 12'. It would be great if the curtain would go from floor to ceiling (8') and be able to span the gap with one panel. I would prefer black, and thick enough to block light.

Anyone know where I could get such a curtain and mounting hardware without breaking the bank?

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I did something very similar with my basement theater. I have a large multi-purpose room down there that is approximately 20'x25'. I created the theater in 1/2 of the space, but wanted to be able to open up the space for parties.

I had the advantage that the main beam had a soffet already built at the 12' point. I was able to mount a rod along the side of the soffet. For the curtains, I used the Eclipse brand. These are sold by many of the home improvement stores. I purchased mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond as they were being closed out for $15/panel. I needed a total of 8 panels to properly cover the 20' span. I then sewed the edges of the panels together, so there was one split in the front and one in the back of the room. I sewed a contrasting ribbon to the gap point, so guests could easily find the openoing.

The Eclipse drapes are lined and thick. They advertise both light blocking and sound blocking qualities. It is not like having a dedicated wall, but is does block enough sound that my kids can play xbox on the other side of the curtain while I watch a movie. The light blocking is quite effective. The Eclipse curtain came in a length of 84". The side mount to the soffet allowed me to mount the curtain flush with the floor. If you did this, you would likely need to create some sort of vertical header to get the rod down to 7'.

Don't know if that is any help, but it is something that worked for me.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very helpful, thank you!

Since I don't have anything to attach the rod to besides the ceiling, I'll have to see if I can find longer curtains, but sewing together a bunch of cheaper panels is something I hadn't thought of.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #4 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm....this may just work:

http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2011/10/11/how-to-make-a-cheap-awesome-professional-curtain-rod/

The electrical conduit is apparently VERY stiff and I could mount it with a couple of these on each end:

http://www.amazon.com/7-8-Inside-Mount-Bracket/dp/B003M3PR4G/ref=sr_1_3?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1357339869&sr=1-3&keywords=inside+mount+bracket

Then mount the curtain on curtain rings...would leave a small gap at the top though.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #5 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Or, what about PVC pipe? Would that flex over a 12' length you think??

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/pipes-tubing-fittings/pipes/pvc-pipes/schedule-80-pvc-belled-end-pipe-3-4x20/p-1729966-c-8571.htm

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #6 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I don't think that electrical conduit will be solid enough, but it's worth a shot.

Take a look at 'black pipe' if that conduit doesn't work. Sold at HD/Lowes. The connectors may cause trouble.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Do a google search for "Used Theater Curtains"

Doug

post #8 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I don't think that electrical conduit will be solid enough, but it's worth a shot.
Take a look at 'black pipe' if that conduit doesn't work. Sold at HD/Lowes. The connectors may cause trouble.

I have used copper water pipe in the past to extend a curtain rod.

A long rod is going to need support. In my setup described above, I have 5 support points along thte 20' run, including the two at the ends, one in the center, and two at the scenter of each sub-span. That allows for 2 curtain openings, one for each seating area.

You can probably get away with a single center support, but in that case I would use the strongest rod you could find. Possibly 1" black or galvanized thickwall pipe. However this means a center entry instead of the single pull across curtain you envisioned. As for the ceiling gap, the Eclipse curtains have dual pockets built in for the rod. You can string the curtain directly on the lower pocket and have an additional 2" to butt up against the ceiling.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

I have used copper water pipe in the past to extend a curtain rod.
A long rod is going to need support. In my setup described above, I have 5 support points along thte 20' run, including the two at the ends, one in the center, and two at the scenter of each sub-span. That allows for 2 curtain openings, one for each seating area.
You can probably get away with a single center support, but in that case I would use the strongest rod you could find. Possibly 1" black or galvanized thickwall pipe. However this means a center entry instead of the single pull across curtain you envisioned. As for the ceiling gap, the Eclipse curtains have dual pockets built in for the rod. You can string the curtain directly on the lower pocket and have an additional 2" to butt up against the ceiling.

I went out and got 13' of 1" electrical conduit and mounted it up...seems pretty sturdy, depending on the weight of the curtains, I'll have to see.

Went to Wally-World and picked up some Eclipse curtains, but the pockets are too small for a 1" rod. The rod will fit, but there is no extra space, so the curtains can't be slid down to one end or the other when I want them open. They did have the ones with the built in "rings", and I think these would probably work better, but they only come in 84" lengths and I'd really like them to reach the floor (95"). I'm currently researching used theater curtains.

I think I've decided a single, center entry would actually work better. I'll keep the thread updated as the project progresses.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #10 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just ordered two of these. Should work perfect!

These are reportedly the same color on both sides...actually kind of hard to find in a "blackout" curtain and just what I was looking for.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #11 of 14 Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope they work for you, let us know how it turns out and if they indeed are the same color on both sides.

Robin Major

I never know what to put here.<---- Soon to be build thread.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajor55 View Post

Hope they work for you, let us know how it turns out and if they indeed are the same color on both sides.

FWIW, my Eclipses are burgandy on both sides.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Eclipse "blackout" curtains I saw at Wally-World were white on one side.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #14 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

So after buying these curtains from Amazon (2 panels, 100"W x 95"L) I tried to use them on my cobbled together electrical conduit but the rings on the curtains wouldn't slide very well on the rough conduit and they certainly would not fit over the connector I had to use to splice the conduit together. So, I ended up ordering this extra long curtain rod and these ceiling mounts from Amazon. The curtains slide very nicely on this rod, but are just a hair too long and I'm having 4" taken off by a seamstress this weekend. After that, I should be good to go.

Total for project (not counting wasted money on electrical conduit, etc.):

Curtains - $110
Curtain rod - $65
Ceiling mounts (2) - $30
Alterations - $30
TOTAL - $235

This is a bit more than I envisioned spending when I started out, but considerably less than getting custom curtains.

After I get the curtains altered and it's all done, I'll post up some pics.
jayn_j likes this.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page