question on what to about exposed speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would really appreciate if someone could show me a picture of the best way to make a wall mounted pm1000 look as professional as possible. I'm. Not quite loving what I've got going and I. Would love some suggestions. I'm mainly concerned with the way the speaker wire goes into wall or ceiling. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what I've got going. I know some touching up needs to be done, but I'm afraid this is temporary. I really think I need the wire coming out of the wall but that's going to be a trick. The attic space on that wall is very limited and it's some very tight crawling to be drilling down into it. Do people use wall plates to fancy it up or what when they do have the wire coming out of the wall? I've never seen a professional install. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I personally don't like a whole wall plate just for one speaker wire. If you want to bring it out the wall (hard to tell from the picture how far down from the ceiling you are), just use an Arlington bushing to finish the hole nicely and poke the bar wire through to make it as unobtrusive as possible. Some speaker brackets have openings to allow the cable to pass through the interior, hiding the wiring completely.

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/communications/non-metallic-wire-bushings-for-class-2-wire/WB500

If you want to bring the wire down the wall but will have difficulty getting to the top plate, you could pull the crown molding off to cheat. Bring the wire through the ceiling behind the molding (cutting some drywall off in the corner if you need to), then poke into the wall, again behind the molding. Then back out right behind the speaker. Not trivial, but may be easier than drilling down. On that front - look at a right-angle drill adapter to help with drilling the top plate.

The other option is to secure the wire to the wall all the way down to the bracket, and paint the wire to match both the molding and the wall color as it travels.

Jeff
hyghwayman likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff for such a thorough answer