Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.
I have the following setup.
pioneer vsx1021 receiver
Polk monitor 70 front
Polk cs2 center
Polk 40 rear

The first time I setup the system I just attached the cable with equipment. Now I have to move everything so I am thinking of using banana plugs. Amazon has "Sewell" for a decent price. Can I use any plugs with my above equipment?? Do u guys recommend any other brand. I think my wiring is 14G.

Thanks guys smile.gif

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Honestly you don't really need any - screwing down the bare wire will get the same results. And that's actually one less connection to go wrong. But there's something nice about having the big plugs on, too...

Some brands / models use binding posts now that aren't compatible with the dual-connector banana plug (I believe due to European standards / regulations), so unless you know for sure, I'd stick with the individual plugs. Monoprice has a great deal for a 5-pair set:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9437&seq=1&format=2

Jeff
geronemo3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Honestly you don't really need any - screwing down the bare wire will get the same results. And that's actually one less connection to go wrong. But there's something nice about having the big plugs on, too...
Some brands / models use binding posts now that aren't compatible with the dual-connector banana plug (I believe due to European standards / regulations), so unless you know for sure, I'd stick with the individual plugs. Monoprice has a great deal for a 5-pair set:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9437&seq=1&format=2
Jeff

Thanks for the quick response.
My speakers have binding post plus they banana plugs can be plugged in the back as well.
Do you recommend monoprice over there at amazon

I am just confirming because this is my first time working with banana plugs.
Once you give the go ahead i will order tomorrow.

By the way just say your home theater room, it's pretty much the best I've seen so far smile.gif
I might get some ideas from your theater room down the line.

Thanks a lot.
post #4 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the monoprice ones and they are good quality (heavy and hold the wire well). I also have some ebay nakamichi's and those are OK, not quite as good.

IMO whatever sound quality you lose with the additional connection you gain tenfold by being able to easily swap and compare speakers and find out what you really like.
post #5 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sewell Deadbolt's here. Great fit and love them. You can see my cable in the DIY Cable thread in the "speakers" forum. Ya don't need em, but they sure look nice and make life simple for tight spaces. Get em! wink.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #6 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperb View Post

IMO whatever sound quality you lose with the additional connection you gain tenfold by being able to easily swap and compare speakers and find out what you really like.

Not going to make any difference in sound quality... Less connections are simply more reliable. But that said, banana plug aren't known to fall out - they're reliable. I doubt most of us do a lot of speaker auditions at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post

Do you recommend monoprice over there at amazon
I am just confirming because this is my first time working with banana plugs.

No preference, they're both equally fine...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I second the monoprice options. They are good quality and very reasonable price wise. They are what I have used.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The monoprice plugs NOTORIOUS for becoming loose after a short period of time. Quite a few bad reviews on here. I almost went that route also, though I did pick up their 12awg in-wall

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #9 of 40 Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I am not that happy with my Mono price plugs. I would try the Nakamichi plugs that I see for sale in various places for good prices if I were buying again.
post #10 of 40 Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the help guys, i went along and ordered the monoprice once as i have had good experience with them in the past and the price was right smile.gif

Since i am setting up my speakers again and have to move end of the year i think banana plugs will come in handy.
post #11 of 40 Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 PM

I used monoprice plugs. Showed my 13 year old how to make the connections ONE TIME. He had all 20 finished in an hour smile.gif And they work!!! No issues and I would order more tomorrow if I needed them. They sure are nice when you get a case of upgrade-itis.

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #12 of 40 Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve View Post

I am not that happy with my Mono price plugs. I would try the Nakamichi plugs that I see for sale in various places for good prices if I were buying again.
What do you dislike? Banana plugs for 11 zones of distributed audio are probably in my future.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #13 of 40 Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have had my monoprice banana plugs in use for almost a year and I have ZERO issues with dropped audio, loose plugs or connections. Not saying others have not had issues just saying I haven't. I guess the best testimony I can give is that I would not hesitate to use them again.

Good luck!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #14 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
+1 on the Monoprice plugs. I've had them for over 2 -1/2 years now and have no issues and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

post #15 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I've done some reading on the Nakamichi banana plugs, and I don't think I'd choose to use them. They might have paid to use the Nakamichi name. I read an Indian company now owns the Nakamichi name, no telling who they let use the name rights.

I wonder if there is a single Chinese factory that only makes banana plugs, for everyone, of varying quality.

FWIW, you can buy the Nakamichi banana plugs direct from the Chinese factory's website, or from various eBay sellers. Some Canadian distributors also carry them.

The Nakamichi plugs are rumored to be gold or silver plated iron, and prone to breaking.

The factory is Shenzhen Crast Technology Co., Ltd., sold under the Audiocrast name.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #16 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I've done some reading on the Nakamichi banana plugs, and I don't think I'd choose to use them. They might have paid to use the Nakamichi name. I read an Indian company now owns the Nakamichi name, no telling who they let use the name rights.
I wonder if there is a single Chinese factory that only makes banana plugs, for everyone, of varying quality.
FWIW, you can buy the Nakamichi banana plugs direct from the Chinese factory's website, or from various eBay sellers. Some Canadian distributors also carry them.
The Nakamichi plugs are rumored to be gold or silver plated iron, and prone to breaking.
The factory is Shenzhen Crast Technology Co., Ltd., sold under the Audiocrast name.

I was going to post a similar concern, but didn't go through the investigative journalism... Thanks Geraldo! biggrin.gif

Theater build photos:

post #17 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Back when I researched them 18 months ago or so, I read that there were "real" Nakamichi banana plugs, and knock offs - no idea if that's true or not, but I rolled the dice, bought a bunch of them on eBay (from a seller who others had had good experiences with), and they worked out well.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #18 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK, there is no 'real' Nakamichi anymore.

post #19 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
somebody bought marketing rights to the name. Kmart is selling Nakamichi headphones and MP3 device self powered cube speakers................it's a sign of the Apocalypse

underachiever extraordinaire
post #20 of 40 Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

somebody bought marketing rights to the name. Kmart is selling Nakamichi headphones and MP3 device self powered cube speakers................it's a sign of the Apocalypse

As I said, there is no 'real' Nakamichi anymore. wink.gif
David Susilo likes this.

post #21 of 40 Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

What do you dislike? Banana plugs for 11 zones of distributed audio are probably in my future.

My experience just seems to be the typical complaint about these plugs. Some of my wires have separated away from the plugs a bit (and that could just be my fault) but the other issue is that they are just loose fitting. I have Energy RC speakers, and they are not very snug in the binding posts. They are not horrible by any means, my connections are all fine, but I would try something else if I were buying them again.

I know nothing about that Nakamichi plugs but they seem to be the next affordable option, at least up here in Canada. Guys are usually selling a dozen pairs for under $50. Other than that it seems to be RCA (the really dinky plastic ones) for like $10 a pair at the source or Wal mart, or Monster plugs for $1 Million dollars a pair.
post #22 of 40 Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you are going to buy them from monoprice, buy the singles instead of the 5 pack, you will save yourself money on the item and shipping. If you are worried about the plug becoming separated from the wire, you can always solder them to the wire. Also having banana plugs makes it much easier to connect speakers to your receiver, especially since most receivers are a pain in the you know what to connect a wire to.
post #23 of 40 Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks MuaySteve, and Lepus. Appreciated.

post #24 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

An Indian company also own Range Rover and Jaguar...just saying smile.gif
post #25 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

And I wouldn't buy Jaguar or Range Rover, because they were originally British and prone to failure.

Some of my best friends are from Indiana.

Ah, you got me. India has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't buy Nakamichi because it's now just a commoditized, meaningless name, not because it's from the third world, geronemo. wink.gif

post #26 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I have had my monoprice banana plugs in use for almost a year and I have ZERO issues with dropped audio, loose plugs or connections. Not saying others have not had issues just saying I haven't. I guess the best testimony I can give is that I would not hesitate to use them again.

RTROSE

Quote:

Jeff

I have a NOOB questions about these banana plugs i receiver them today.
Correct me if i am wrong but the wiring in these plugs can only to inserted at 90 degree angle, right?? where the screw part is.
I've seen videos on youtube where you can insert the wiring at 180 angle.
These plugs might come undone if i insert them at 180 angle right??

Right now i've connected them at 180 and it's working so far but i think they are meant for 90 degree angle.
This might be stupid question for most of you, but i am just trying to make sure.

Thanks for the help. smile.gif
post #27 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hadn't seen that before... You're getting only 50% of the contact surface that you would by inserting the wire through the middle (in one side and out the other), but as long as you tighten it down so it doesn't easily pull loose, I think you'll be fine.

Although looking at the photos, maybe you're not doing what I thought - is the wire coming down inside the screw, then out one side and being screwed in place there, or is the wire just getting crushed at the bottom of the screw thread well? If it's the latter, I don't think there will be enough material captured to keep them from pulling out.

Jeff
geronemo3 likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #28 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hadn't seen that before... You're getting only 50% of the contact surface that you would by inserting the wire through the middle (in one side and out the other), but as long as you tighten it down so it doesn't easily pull loose, I think you'll be fine.

Although looking at the photos, maybe you're not doing what I thought - is the wire coming down inside the screw, then out one side and being screwed in place there, or is the wire just getting crushed at the bottom of the screw thread well? If it's the latter, I don't think there will be enough material captured to keep them from pulling out.

Jeff

Yes exactly what i was trying to ask, the wire is getting crushed as you see in the 2nd picture, i was inserting it at 180 degree angle.
I will try connecting it at 90 degree, i think that's what these plugs are meant to be used as, although i've seen videos on youtube where you can fan out the strands of the wire before screwing it

Forward to 1:45 sec to see what i mean.

I hope that was possible in these plugs frown.gif
post #29 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post

Yes exactly what i was trying to ask, the wire is getting crushed as you see in the 2nd picture, i was inserting it at 180 degree angle.
I will try connecting it at 90 degree, i think that's what these plugs are meant to be used as, although i've seen videos on youtube where you can fan out the strands of the wire before screwing it

Well, if they were designed to be used that way, and has some material below the threads such that the wire can be secured, ok... The ones you have, though, appear to be made for the "traditional" through-hole method.

Just push the stripped wire through the hole, and use a wire cutter to trim off the excess after you've tightened it down.
geronemo3 likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #30 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The thickness of the tube of the plug is thicker then most individual strands of wire, and that plug is how it is to be connected. They can come loose somewhat easy.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page